Top Five (yes, CountryGirl, you prompted this post)

Moving to Africa in 3 days. THREE DAYS!!! (okay, more like 3 weeks, because we’re visiting Andy’s family in the UK first) Which reminds me:

CONGRATULATIONS TO ANDY FOR FINISHING HIS PHD!!!

This calls for a Top Five Things I’m Going To Miss…

1. My friends. I have amazing friends. I was going to list them all, but I’m sure I’d accidentally forget someone, and they’d find out, and then they’d get mad, and that sounds too complicated. But if you know me, know this: you’re an awesome friend!

2. Thai food. I’m not going to find any of that in the Eastern Cape… buh-bye Pad See Ew. 🙁 🙁 🙁

3. Independent films. I recently saw The Fall, and I loooove this movie!the_fall_3 It was shot in something like 18 countries, and the visuals are absolutely stunning. Not to mention the story is captivating, the little girl (Catinka, I love that name!) is ADORABLE, and the lead actor is pretty hot as well. If this movie rolls into your local art house cinema, check it out! Or put it on your Queue.

4. The Soup. I have a deep and profound love for Joel McHale… and I’m really gonna miss his beyond-hilarious show. picHe watches every ridiculous reality show and then shows clips. It’s like TV Cliffs Notes, and I don’t know what I’m going to do without it!

5. I was torn between 2 things for my #5 spot. Frozen grapes, and high speed internet. Both are amazing. Both are things I will probably not have in Mt. Frere…. Sigh.

Now you tell me: What would you miss the most?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Top Five (yes, CountryGirl, you prompted this post)

1. Jayne says:

wow 3 days!! have fun, you’re truly amazing for going out there! and enjoy england for me, I love that country 🙂

ooo thai food, yum, I love it! there’s hardly any in Minnesota, but since I’m off to college in DC next year, I found this great spot called thaiphoon (the name is awesome enough, but food is even better)

I really wanted to see the fall, glad you loved it, and yes lee pace is hot! 😉

frozen grapes haha over internet? oh alex!

and congrats to Andy, what a feat!

2. ambika says:

You know, I found myself missing the strangest things when I was out of the country–golden grahams and the daily show more than anything, i think. Hopefully we’ll be able to hear about your trip while you’re gone!

And congrats to your hubby!

i love the soup. it’s wocked funny.
    i read that south africa is one of
    the most violent countries on earth,
    usually poor on poor crimes, but be
    careful anyway alex.
    what would i miss? the familiarity
    of home and the availability of things
    that i’ve taken for granted. my favorite
    toilet paper, a certain chocolate, some
    kind of food or cosmetic that wouldn’t
    be available somewhere else.
    like warm sour dough bread. tejava
    bottled tea.
    but you’ll grow to love new things.
    you’ll make new friends. you’ll adapt
    to dial-up internet connections.
    maybe you’ll even write a new book
    out of your experiences.
    hugs. bon voyage.

4. kiki says:

hope you have great experiences on your travels

I would miss pancakes, going to the movies, bookstores, high speed internet and fast food. I’d still be able to feed my reading addiction online, but it would probably take forever to get them. Take care, be safe, have fun, and hope to read you again in the blogosphere in the near future.

THE SOUP! HELL YES! JOEL is such a hottie too.

Bon voyage!

I finally got it! The library has a copy of your book and I checked it out this afternoon!

You’re going to Africa?

What’s going on? I’m so lost.

8. ashley says:

Africa? Wow! I want to hear all about it 🙂 And tbh i think i’d miss The Soup too :p

9. I miss Joel McHale, he was so HOT and TALL in person.
    I miss you!!!! I wrote another post for you, peeps are going to start wondering about our internet love affair. This go to SA idea of yours was probably the best idea, in retrospect.

10. Have a great time, be careful because SA is still going through change but hey that’s the same anywhere.
    I will miss your blog posts always interesting and full of life.
    Sorry not to have commented before you went as I was away on hols in France.
    I miss France already…
    Safe journey, have a great time and if you can post that’d be fab!
    xx

11. Heather says:

I am in LOVE with Joel McHale, seriously. I want to marry him. And sooooooo funny; “Denise Richards…COLON…It’s Complicated!” ha! Well, be sure to take pics to post on your updates! 🙂

I’m sure high speed internet is pretty common in Africa. How do you think that Nigeria puts out all those email scams? Not through dial up, I tell you. But if you’re going to a very small village in Africa, then high speed internet might not be available.

I’m going to miss all you’re posts about NY life, but then again, you’re going to be posting about other interesting things about Africa. It will just be interesting in a different way.

13. best of luck to you and congrats about the Ph.D!!!!!!!!

14. rollergirl says:

Best of luck! Bet you’ll have a ball…
    I would miss my friends, Cadbury’s chocolate, Grazia magazine, my house and the people-watching in London.

15. Amy Hondo says:

What would I miss most?…..

ALEX AND ANDY!!!!!!