Big News

I’ve really been letting the blog slide lately, but for good reason. I’ve been busy packing up my apartment (I hate packing!) and putting everything into storage because… drum roll please…

Andy and I are moving to South Africa!

We’re leaving in about a month or two. I can hardly believe it! For 1 year we are going to volunteer with an organization called ASAP — African Solutions to African Problems—living in the middle of nowhere on the Eastern Cape, helping establish community centers for nutrition/education/family support. We are beyond excited. Scared, yes, but excited too. I was afraid to mention it until it seemed pretty solid… but I think it does, so I wanted to share my news! If anyone has spent any time there, please share your advice.

What does everyone else have planned for the summer? I will do my best to keep up with blogs, but it’ll be hard! Andy and I will definitely set up some kind of travel blog for anyone who wants to keep up with our wild life in Mt. Frere, South Africa!

25 Responses to Big News

1. Tiff says:

WOW WOW WOW!!!
    [i could say that quite a few more times]
    that is really amazing!
    one of my HS friends left today for Mongolia where she’ll be working for the Peace Corps for 2 years. i thought that was pretty awesome, and now you too!
    you had better blog about it so i can keep up with your exciting life!
    oh, and what about your 2nd book? are you going to put that on hold for awhile? hope that is not too personal. 😉

i’m very impressed with you guys!

2. Kate says:

Sounds very exciting and a great adventure.
    Take care and do let us know if you have a travel blog – try and post occasionally – you’ll be missed x

3. I am so sad but SO very excited for you and Andy to go on this journey. You are wonderful people!

4. ambika says:

Holy cow, that is big news. How exciting! I’m sure you will have fantastic adventures; it’s such a beautiful part of the world. Best of luck!

The experience of a lifetime. Enjoy it.

6. OMG, I can’t believe it, how amazing.

damn I better get to NYC before you leave!

7. Fashion Ivy says:

Great news. Hope you have fun. When I went to South Africa i had an amazing time

I think you are off to an adventure of a lifetime. What you do will make you who you are.
    What really excites me (other than being happy for you, and thinking I’d love to do something like that one day) is you’ll gather some wonderful experiences for a NEW BOOK!!! I hope I hope. You’re awesome Alex. Incredibly awesome.

oh WOW!!
    thats sooo exciting
    i cant wait to hear all about this fantastic change!

I have to say it despite the lack of originality- but WOW! Truly an amazing unique experience & commendable, even if you’re slightly scared it’ll be worth it. Instead of just send money off to some faceless organization, you’re actually there & helping! I’ll def miss you, but obviously I wouldn’t pass this up either, please try to post a travel blog I’d love to read it!

Holy mackeral. This is immense! I’ve got a few friends worked out in Africa for a year but that was in Kenya. I’m sure it’s going to be an amazing experience though, and it’s great that you want to contribute so significantly! Good luck, and please do start a blog about it!!!

OH MY GOSH!!! that is sooo cool! oh my gosh what a great life experience that will be! maybe inspiration for a new book too! thats really neat you’re going to go there and help them 🙂 that def blows all of my summer plans out of the water lol!

i had no idea who the song was by until i did that post but it turns out it was by shiny toy guns…dont listen to them but i do like that song!
    its called “le disko”

14. WendyB says:

Wow! Big news!

15. kiki says:

wow umm congrats! huge news

16. Myriam says:

Hey there!
    Yup – I did spend a little time in Mt. Frere 🙂
    Wow – that is so exciting that you are moving there!
    Let me know if you’d still like to hear about it…
    You can contact me at if you like.
    Take care

17. rollergirl says:

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said. Just WOW and kudos to you guys! x

Woah! That’s so sudden and so cool! Though I am guilty of checking your blog kinda late on this post, but I really hope that you guys will be safe there. It’s so good that you’re working for a nonprofit. I work for Heifer and it really makes you feel great that you’re doing something. I’m glad you’re participating towards a great cause.

19. Lindsey says:

How cool! I know you are going to have a great adventure. You will probably come back a changed person. What sparked your interest in this?

20. When are you going to post again? I mean, I know I never do, but I have excuses 🙂

21. Olivia says:

That’s so cool!

22. Heather says:

That is sooo amazing, I can’t believe it! (I’m a little late in seeing your post, oops!) But, still! Goodness! How exciting! Good luck and definitely keep us all posted! 🙂

23. Thanks for reading my blog! I just finished Cheryl Diamond’s book, Model: A Memoir and posted a not-a-review-review. Check it out, if you find the time!

It’s great about going to South Africa. My Aunt spends every second summer there, teaching disabled children. I’m not sure which city she goes to exactly, though.

You have a cool blog, too. Are you going to be writing any more books soon?? 😉

24. wow how exciting– and for a wonderful cause too! i hope you enjoy your year there and please do keep us updated

25. chrissie says:

you should check out City Year South Africa while you’re their. I met them when I served for a year with Americorps (City Year), and they’re pretty amazing people!