All new: cooking and clothes!

Two of my favorite things, and one of my favorite blog topics!

I’ve been experimenting with loads of recipes lately, but today I will share a fun and healthy recipe for homemade Fruit & Nut Bars. First of all, have you tried LARABARS? They are delish, and so simple. They have between 2 and 5 ingredients, so no nasty preservatives etc. But for some reason I am allergic to raw nuts so I thought I’d try making my own with toasted nuts. The basic recipe is:

*2 cups toasted almonds
*1/2 cup pitted dates

That’s it! Put ’em in the Cuisinart and blend until both ingredients are completely smooshed and combined. If it’s too dry add more dates; if it’s too wet add more nuts. Next: grab a handful and mold them into candy bar shaped logs (kind of messy, but easy to wash off), wrap them in plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge to chill for a couple hours.

How easy is that? And they’re so good. I also like to add things like orange, lemon, or cinnamon extract; cocoa powder; cranberries; roasted cashews instead of almonds… the sky’s the limit! They’re a great snack, and it’s fun to eat something homemade that looks so professional.

And now for the CLOTHES!!!

Today’s featured designer is Rebecca Taylor. I was browsing her line at ShopLAStyle.com and fell in love with almost everything!

This dress is a little fancy-pants, but I think it’s quite cute:
sparkle

This shirt is very similar, but I just love the back detail. So cute:
backfront

Adorable pink cami w/ petal detailing along the top:
petal

Very pretty black party dress w/ supercute beading in the front:
dress

I love this sun dress. Can’t wait for summer!!!
sun dress

Another cute ‘n summery dress w/ pretty bead detail in front:
white

That’s all for now. If you try making the Nut/Date bars, lemme know how they turn out!

24 Responses to All new: cooking and clothes!

ok, so i told you how i made a special request for my library to get your book and they bought four copies! well, the copies are finally in and ALL of them are checked out!
    i finally read your book and i enjoyed it so much! i couldnt put it down…and i was so proud to be “e-buddies” with the author. can’t wait for your next one!

i love the top with the cool backing, nice finds overall!

I love the Rebecca Taylor ideas.
    It’s nice to see spring fashions.
    Finally. The date bars sound
    awesome, but you might want
    to wear an old tee when making
    those. They look awfully messy.
    I’d probably put a smear of
    peanut butter on them. I know,
    you don’t need to, the almonds
    and such, but I put peanut butter
    on everything. Yummm…

I love that you’re a homemaker these days, Alex! =P That said, I think I’m gonna give those bars a try this w/e, so thanks! Think I could sub. the dates with apricots? I hate dates. =(

5. I adore Larabars and attempting to be handy in the kitchen, so I’ll have to try this very soon! Thank you for the idea!

6. andy says:

Those fruit bars are yum to the max – I couldn’t believe that they didn’t have sugar/syrup/butter in them.

Alex – I added a ‘live comment preview’ plugin to your WordPress, mostly because I hate commenting without preview.

It’s nice because it lets you check things like italics and

Paragraphs and links etc.

7. Fashion Ivy says:

Hey great blog. Would u like to link?

8. FUN! You are betty crocker these days. I am a but perplexed, though, how can one be allergic to raw but not toasted nuts, what changes??? xoxo

9. alexgirl says:

I know, right? The raw/toasted thing perplexes me too. Something to do with the natural oils? Maybe they’re cooked out or something? I’m a freak of nature, I guess!!!

10. ellie says:

I’m readaing your book. I really like your characters.

that long dress is inspiring me…i need one like it for summer!

ooh! now i really want to make those – how easy!??! i love recipies like that!
    im loving that black dress 🙂

I TAGGED YOU

14. ana says:

haha, the first picture is adorabley funny.
    thanks for the recipie

oh i forgot to say, thats SO cool you used to live in new mexico
    i drove through there on a family road trip awhile back and i just looved it!

I’ve had Larabars and never thought of trying to make them. Though I would have to try to make them because I’m curious on how good they would turn out. One thing that me and the roomies would get at Whole Foods is pitted dates covered with coconut. Their really cheap and remind me of mini Larabars.

17. Those bars look AMAZING. I will have to try and bake some soon.
    Also- im going to have to read your book if its as good as molly says it is… 🙂 x

18. kiki says:

I love the clothes and the recipe sounds ok too i might have too try it

19. Tiff says:

i SOOO want to make some yummy bars like that.

i also SOOO don’t have the time right now. [but i do have time to comment on friends blogs? hmm]

how much can i pay you to make me some and ship them? 😉

20. you know what I got in the mail this morning from my mom?!? A WHOLE CASE OF LARABARS!!!!!!!!! I love them. Key lime is my fav.

21. Heather says:

Wow, your bars seem to be a hit! You should market those bitches! hahaha

Oh, and I like the last dress (the white one) the best, I think…

🙂

22. i’ve been on a cooking/baking spree lately so i’m really anxious to try your recipe. seems fool-proof even for me!
    i’m also a big rebecca taylor fan! i own one of her dresses and it’s so pretty and feminine:)
    xoxo

ok, I’m hungry now.
    Pass the cookies.

24. That little pink sequined dress is my ideal New Year’s Eve attire! I guess I’d be quite ahead of the game if I purchased it now…