10 things I learned at SXSW

1. Wearing Raybans automatically makes you cool. Or at least a lot closer to cool.

2. You must have a banjo or an electric violin in your band. Preferably both.
banjo
(sorry about the blurry pic of Noah and The Whale.)

3. Jeans: the tighter the better—but we all already knew that, didn’t we?

ice cream 4. The Ice Cream Man RULES!!!!

5. Never leave home without your earplugs. Ever.

6. If you are hungry, you can always find a soft taco.

7.wristbands
Lots of wristbands makes you cool.

8. Japan Nite kicks ass—but it’s full of Asia-philes.

9. Get there early if you want the free stuff. (Side note: the Aussie BBQ had the best veggie burgers ever.)

10. Live music is awesome!!!
My favorite new bands from SXSW (not all of which I saw, but have since started listening to):
Deer Tick, Phosphorescent, Two Gallants, She & Him, Holy Conlan, Apache Beat,
Yeasayer, Bon Iver, Fanfarlo, Noah & The Whale, Sons & Daughters, A Weather,
Back Ted n Ted, Kaki King, Man Man, Laura marling, Georgie James, The Dodos

28 Responses to 10 things I learned at SXSW

1. ana says:

Oh. dear. I’m afraid I dont wear raybans (my trusty CK aviators fare me better) or tight jeans. Oh well! Veggie burgers I can do though!

love the top 10 list 🙂 also totally jealous you went! she &him, bon iver!!! gah alex, i’d hate you if you weren’t so awesome haha

i look so bad in raybans, i try them on again and again and my mom always shakes her head and tells me i’m an idiot, the only think i look good in are catseyes 🙁

tacos! veggies! yum 🙂

ear plugs are god haha

3. Kool Thing says:

You’re back! I’m so jealous of your SXSW adventure! You’ll have to post more photos. I uploaded one my favourite Bat For Lashes songs to my blog, it’s just about the RANK picture of Winehouse in the scud. Download it and enjoy! I think you will… XX

4. Thanks, and it’s okay. I was busy writing my new short story while I was taking a break on my other one that I’ve been working on for three months. I’ll check her out. Oh, and I’m not a teenager, yet. Pre-Teen. Turning 12, April 23rd of this year.

5. sorry, it’s me, again. um, what is her blog?

6. Olivia says:

Love the top 10 list! My mom hates RayBans, but it’s not like her opinion can stop me from wearing them. In my perspective, I don’t think I look half as bad as my mom tells me I do. (: Veggie burgers are amazing, it’s a new obsession. & I’m not the biggest fan of tight jeans, but they are nice, and they help show off a body part that has to be covered otherwise. 😉

I love the wristbands. You’re right, they are cool. Wristbands and Raybans, you can almost go naked.
    I love live music. Hand stamps are cool too.

8. Adele says:

haha i love my raybans haa great post looks like you had lots of fun.x

9. Thanks Alex! You rock!

10. Olivia says:

I didn’t know they had music at the convention thing, but wait why would they wear raybans in a tent?

11. ivy says:

Cool that you got to go to the sxsw. At least I got to see the Ting Tings live performance at the Bat Bar even if it was on Tv.

12. I added you to my blogroll for helping me chase after my dream! I’m planning to get Back Talk for my birthday. I can’t get it today, just bought a new set of books yesterday.

13. Gina says:

Umm. Hecks Yeahh. My friend has a condo in Hawaii and I think that you hit the spot on all that we do there. We walk around with our cool wristbands (you have to wear them in the condo so they know you’re not just a hobo.) and Ray Bans. Never before have I felt like such an extreme badass. Seriously. And you are making me crave a veggie burger. Like right now.

14. aisha says:

Great rules 🙂
    are Ray bans the number one rule? that’s pretty cool, I love them.

Ice cream ice cream, i want some… and you had a truck full of it =O, yum!

?

15. I am quite jealous of your wristband collection! I had tons of fun today. Next time we get together I should be that much closer to my normal hip cheery self. p.s. I bought the couch, they gave me another 20% off. fingers crossed that I can cancel the other one tomorrow.

mmm
    tight jeans heck yes..!

(i wish i had some raybans though…)

😀

Aww countrygirl left her blog open for inviteds only. and not meeee.

LUCKY!!!!!! i really need to go to a music festival, pronto.
    she and him is quickly becoming one of my new favorite cds 😀 and i heard of noah and the whale on my sirus radio, but was bummed when they barely had any music on itunes. but hopefully soon enough they will, like all the other british artists!

All these bands sound like they came out of London or something. Weird.

20. haha i love #1, this is so true. something about having on a pair of wayfarer style sunglasses makes me feel very 80s surf bum haha.

i’ve heard the fashion at sxsw are pretty crazy and fun, i’d love to check out some of the street style. sounds like you had a lot of fun!

xoxo

21. SHE?FAHSHUN says:

-Jeans+Tightness=MEGA AMAZING, I love it.
    -Veggie burgers sound really good right now. Actually anything but peanut butter sounds good right now.
    -You must have been very very cool with all those wristbands! 🙂
    -PS: I added you to my links. I updated alot, actually.

22. Heather says:

Wowwww! I had noooo idea that RayBans are really that cool, still! Hmmm. And I too, am super jealous you were there! 🙂 Ahhh, to live vicariously through you! Post pics!

sounds like mad fun, ive never been to a festival but ive always wanted to!

24. Those wristbands are hott! I used to wear contacts just so I could wear Ray-bans.

Live music is awesome.
    Being there is even better.

26. I WISH I WOULDVE BEEN THERE!!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BLAST.

27. Diana says: