My 100% MUSIC post

If you didn’t already know, I’m obsessed with music. Uhb-sessed. Maybe I’m kind of A.D.D. because when I’m at a party, or even at home, bandand the CD ends, I start twitching until a new album gets put on. So, that’s my intro. Here are some of the artists I’ve been fixating on lately:

Band of Horses . I resisted their new album for a long time, and I don’t even know why. But it’s really good twangy indie rock. I can’t stop listening to it!

Born Ruffians. They’re a bit scruffy but adorable, and the songs are fun indie pop. Check out the Hummingbirds video, it’s really cute:

Ambulance Ltd. I’m not even sure how I came across them. Andy is always bringing home new music that we’ve never heard of. They’re sort of indie/shoegaze and very laid back. Ophelia is my favorite track off LP, if you want to check it out!

I also like that Lupe Fiasco song, Superstar:

It’s stuck in my head all the time lately. Think I’ll have to break down and download it off Amazon!

justiceJustice. French electronica. Just try listening to this without wanting to bust out dancing. It’s impossible. They’re like the new Daft Punk.

Kate Nash. AKA Lily Allen 2. Do you love that Merry Happy song? I’m sure I’ll get sick of it, but I haven’t yet.

Animal Collective. How do you describe their music? It’s indie/electronic/psychedelic/experimental rock. It’s fantastic. I love the whole album, but check out Fireworks, especially. Here’s the video:

Charlotte Gainsbourg. Daughter of famous French singer Serge Gainsbourg. If you like Air, you’ll probably like Charlotte Gainsbourg. I didn’t like it the first time I heard it, but then it really started to grow on me. There’s a nicely shot video for her song 5:55 on YouTube. Maybe a little self-absorbed, but I guess it’s her video and she can do what she wants!

vwVampire Weekend. They’re going to be on SNL this weekend, which I don’t see as a good thing. I’m one of those people who sometimes likes to keep bands all to myself without them becoming superstars… but VW will no doubt be huge, as predicted by this StereoGum.com quote:
“This is, in fact, what the not-so-distant future possibly maybe holds:
In late 2008, after Vampire Weekend has guested on Saturday Night Live, sold out the Theater at Madison Square Garden for nine consecutive nights, and licensed songs for commercials for every product in Apple’s lineup, Zach Braff discovers a hip, new underground band called “Vampire Weekend.” He adds them to the soundtrack for his new movie, a coming-of-age story about Zach Braff sleeping with whichever currently popular 22-year-old actress is the hottest. He explains in the CD’s liner notes: ‘Their songs sound like Graceland by Paul Simon, another artist with which I am newly familiar.'”

Evangelicals. They are fantastic. Their album is amazing, weird, funky, indie rock. Check out their new video on StereoGum. It’s very reminiscent of a Potato Riot film. Right up my alley!

Honorable mentions:
Rogue Wave (especially the song Chicago x12), Au Revoire Simone, the new Breeders album (not out yet, but the single is good), St. Vincent.

I’m going to SXSW at the end of next week with a friend, so if anyone has any advice on “must see” bands, please let me know!!!

25 Responses to My 100% MUSIC post

LOOOVVEEE this post!
    huge fan of kate nash and vampire weeked – they are both AMAZING! i kno exactly what u mean about them becoming too well known, then stupid ppl will like them just cuz they’re popular – i want them all to myself too! thank god that really hasnt happened to rilo kiley yet tho 🙂 im really liking Coconut Records and M.I.A. at the moment 🙂

oh and word is that jenny lewis is back in the studio for a 2nd solo album – dont kno if i told u yet tho

cant wait till she and him – MARCH 18!

ooo 100% music post, 100% amazing! haha

good description for band of horses- twangy, exactly! i love general specific (even before it was used perfectly on gossip girl) and is there a ghost? though i will admit if you look @ a photo of the band they’re a bit scary haha

kate nash is awesome to tide me over until the new lily allen album. then again, kate does have her own credbility- she is a much better musician than lily, even if the lyrics are less inspired. i am a merry happy addict too- something about that oh so charming cheese on toast line haha. so far the radio has only picked up foundations, hope thats it, b/c i’m growing a bit sick of it.

lupe fiasco has the best band name ever

i love the new rogue wave album, lake michigan is my favorite, but you’re right chicagox12 is fabulous!

oo ambulance ltd. is great, thanks for introducing me

actually in general, you’ve heard of a lot of awesome bands i never have!

currently on repeat on my itunes: i’m finally in love with amy winehouse after a lot of resistance haha and okkervil river (they’re a very random and origical lyrics kind of band with good hooks)

I’m excited about VAMPIRE WEEKEND! I’m always looking for the next great band. Thanks for all these great suggestions. All new to naive me!

4. kiki says:

WTF am i out of the OTH loop when did this happen and WHYYYY im watching the one i missed tonite so hopefully that will clear up any questions I want that female dog carrie off!!!!!!!!!

5. Jody says:

I love this 100% music post, I must check out a lot of this music! Vampire Weekend I listened to the other day and was totally digging. Yay for music!

6. Adele says:

heyy…. im loving Katie Nashs Merry Happy Song listening to it today actually 🙂

7. Great 100% post!
    kate nash and vampire weeked are amazing!

huuuuge fan of vampire weekend!!!

and yes, i understand your need to keep the band all to yourself..
    thats how i see it!

😀

9. aisha says:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE music posts, reviews on new musicians are always appreciated

I have listened some of those singers/bands, gotta check the ones that are new to me on youtube 😉

?

10. ana says:

Kate Nash’s music is so fun and Vampire Weekend….the whole preppy meets african thing is cool. Every time my art teacher leaves the room someone turns on Superstar and yeterday I finally bought it, and denied having done so when my sister asked.

11. Kool Thing says:

Hello! I’m happy to hear you found me funny; although your lack of competitive-ness is crazy to me. But I’m sure more people in my class would like me if I was more like you! I’ve been impressed by your blog. And I’d also like to boast that I have an Ambulance LTD 7″ from about three years ago that was limited to 250 copies. Each one has a different photograph glued to the card sleeve.

Kool Thing.

12. ambika says:

Ooo, these are some good picks. Love the new Vampire Weekend, Band of Horses, and Justice is definitely awesome. The whole Lupe Fiasco album is really good, too, in addition to that single.

We saw Be Your Own Pet and Raveonettes last night. You might like both of them as well.

13. Harith says:

You “must see” my friends Fire Flies, they’re really exceptional, and they’re playing with Kimya Dawson among others. Unfortunately, I can’t remember when this is happening, but, you know, I have faith in your information-gathering abilities.

14. Kool Thing says:

Absolutely! It’s not often that I actually come across blogs that I want to keep reading. Merci beaucoup! X

15. aisha says:

Thanks to you now I’m in love with animal collective 🙂

16. SHE?FAHSHUN says:

Love to! Thanks..I’ll add ya to mine too!
    [[PS Vampire Weekend is MEGA AMAZING..I checked their songs out yesterday!]]

17. Cris says:

I’ve been loving Kate Nash for a good minute now. I know how you feel about bands getting too big. It happened with me with both Lily and Amy. 🙁

18. kiki says:

OTH tonight no dan back hopefully and rachel back in tree hill OMG what is going to happen

19. aisha says:

I don’t have long legs either and I’m around 1,60 m. but hopefully i’ll find a pair of baggy denim jeans that suit me =L

20. Sylvia says:

I want to go check out Justice. They look pretty cool.

The first time I heard Animal Collective I said “what the hell is that? a screaming cat?” Then my ears adjusted to the music and it wasn’t bad.

I didn’t know Vampire Weekend is going to be on SNL. I gotta watch it. They’re so cool!

Speaking of 100% music, this post reminded me of the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago. I want to go so bad but I’m saving my money for ACL.

Kate Nash ftw.

And M.I.A.

I fly like paper get high like planes

22. Gina says:

I don’t think that you have any idea how weird this is right now… My brother and I are basically the biggest bunch a music crazyfaces you’ve ever met (he’s really cool…he made my website for me and he’s like the biggest music guru I’ve ever met) and we were just talking about how much of a hate/love relationship we have with bands who go famous. Its like “Oh, yay for them, their famous, but all these people just like them because they’re famous.” and I kind of just want to punch those people. But you also have to be happy because you’re like, “Oh, thank God they stopped listening to Rhianna.” Chuckle. Nothing against Rhianna or anything ….

Wow. Super crazy story. I was shopping in Brooks Brothers and the song Superstar came on, and that was the first time I heard it. I was like, “WHAT IS THIS?!?!” Because, you know, normally, Brooks Brothers wouldn’t play that sort of music, but they were and I was slightly freaking out. But now I really, really like that song and it all started with the store, Brooks Brothers. End of Story. Sorry its not really that interesting. Chuckle.

So, that’s my dealio and I just wanted to share with you my opinion.

Thanks, GINA 8)

PS. I can definitely quote Princess Bride start to end.

Scruffy but adorable. I like that.

24. Heather says:

Ahhh, lots of music to explore! I do know about a lot of those you listed, and agree! I like “Is There a Ghost” by Band of Horses, and I’ve been a fan for awhile of Au Revoir Simone. And I like Vampire Weekend a lot, too — they were in town around a month ago, but sold out! Talk about upset — AND it was at the Warhol Museum!
    P.S. Did you know I have a music blog, too?
    heatherfrazier.3steps.com 🙂

25. kayla says:

RAYBANS=Instant cool for sure! And I think its funny how u want to keep Vampire weekend to yourself!im the total opposite…i think i like convincing people how awesome the bands i like truly are!