psych up for fall

Fall always has me feeling very nostalgic. For some bizarre, unknown reason, I miss being in school. Crazy, right? The leaves are beautiful, but it’s also kind of morbid. Everything’s getting cold and dying. But I do like bundling up under blankets, reading, and watching TV at home… and I love holidays, and all the good ones come in the fall and winter (Andy and I decided to be Buffy and Spike for Halloween, btw).
Okay, so, here are some things that are helping me adjust to the changing seasons:

Sparkly dresses that add a little zing to your day! I’ve been really into short sleeved dresses lately. They’re so transitional.
greenblack

Amazing shoes to go with the cute, sparkly dresses:
shpinkg

And finally good movies are starting to come out. Nothing against mindless action flicks (I’ve seen plenty!) but I’m ready to see an actual good movie. My first pick: Margot at the Wedding. I think Noah Baumbach is a really incredible director, and the whole cast is pretty brilliant. The movie looks quirky and heartfelt, but not sappy.

Lars and the Real Girl . I hope other people are as excited about this movie as I am. Ryan Gosling is really cute and the preview practically had me rolling with laughter. It looks so original, and I’m so bored of watching the same movie over and over again. I hope it lives up to my expectations. Also, it’s Playing in Manhattan at the Paris Theatre, and that’s a great place to see movies. You feel like you’ve time traveled to the ’40s or something.

Also on my movie-going list:a Atonement, based on the book by Ian McEwan. It’s not in theaters until December, but it looks so good. Actually, I haven’t even seen a preview, but PlainJayne posted about it last month and the film stills are very indicative of a good movie.

What I’m listening to: Beirut, The Smiths, Pavement, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear…. I’m always looking for new music to psych me up for the change in weather, so please give suggestions!! I know all of you have great taste.

12 Responses to psych up for fall

ooo great fall list!

i adore fall, but definitely not for the school, haha i think it’s just you :p. i just love the crisp air, the colors, the apple cider, halloween, impending xmas, fashion…wow i sound like a hallmark card, but it is my fav season for a reason (ooops rhymed there…)

i have a really fun sparkly dress from FCUK, i plan on posting on it soon, so i totally know what you mean about glam dresses, wearing something shiny kinda takes the depression of death of summer away, and those shoes are awesome! where are they from?

as for movies: i’m interested in margot at the wedding b/c the squid and the whale was so well done even if it isn’t my normal kinda movie, i have to say i’m not overly eager to see lars, i think i just don’t get it haha, and obviously, atonement i’ll be there at midnight haha (though i doubt it’s one of those films that opens then), thanks for the shoutout!

ooo i love beirut! good choice! as for my music recommendations? hmm… ben kweller, sea wolf, okkervil river, unkle bob

2. ambika says:

Oh my gosh, that green dress! I love it and am picturing it with a million things, including those amazing t-straps.

I can’t wait for you to post pics of your costumes! Buffy used to be one of my fav shows.

Oh! and I wanted to add that I stole your previous post idea..and posted my previous costumes on my blog. go check it!

ryan gosling is enough reason for me to go and see lars and the real girl!

6. I get nostalgic for school too and the supplyu shopping, it is odd.

I LOVE Ryan Gosling, love him, and that movie looks so good, and Atonement….did you read the book? It’s shattering to the soul.

7. Maya says:

I haven’t seen atonement yet but i love love love the book so i am definately going to see it soon

8. Raisa says:

Uh I love the green dress and the third pair of black shoes.
    Uh I haven’t seen ANY of those movies but I think I’m gonna watch “The last kiss” on tv later for a little romance, not sure about if it is good, but i love rachel Bilson =P

9. Heather says:

I am excited about Lars and the Real Girl, too!! And I’ve been thinking the same thing about fall and nostalgia. Every day when I am driving down my road after work I look at all the trees and colorful leaves and I think, “Wow, I LOVE this time of year” etc.
    As for music — MGMT (or the Management)

Oh yeah, almost forgot! I tagged you! Check my blog! 🙂

10. WendyB says:

I love Buffy and Spike! I was totally into the Spuffy relationship. I must see a photo!

im in love with those pink shoes – so unique but wearable!

i really want to see margot at the wedding too! nicole is one of my favorite actresses and i want to see her in a sucessful, good movie (b/c apparently she hasnt been in one in a long time) she’s gorgeous, i just love her! oh and of course i want to see atonement 🙂

as for music, my other love, i see that you’re listening to the new beirut? i love it, ive been listenting to it a lot recently also. other cds im loving right now:

The Elected (sun, sun, sun), The Choir Practice, Koop (Koop Islands), Architecture in Helsinki (I love the Heart it Races song), the kooks, the new rufus wainright cd, meiko, and kate nash (my new favorite person)!!
    hope u like them 🙂

12. Mar Anfield says:

anything with sparkles or sequins gets me excited. so yay!
    and thanks for the love, halloween really is the best. xoxo