Impending spoookiness!

I love Halloween.
Love the candy, love the pumpkin carving, love the scary movies, love the costumes—love it, love it, love it!

Andy and I haven’t decided what we want to dress up as this year, but since we’ve got a costume party to go to Friday night, I better get cracking!! I usually lean toward something topical, but nothing’s jumping out at me this fall.
Here are our costumes from the past couple years:

IMG_0586_800
Last year, when everyone was freaking out about tainted spinach causing e. coli, Andy and I got green clothes from American Apparel and dressed up as deadly, killer spinach!!!

img_2589
Technically, Britney had just had her baby, but I thought it would be more fun to go as pregnant Brit-Brit. And, Andy did a stellar K. Fed. His shirt said Mr. Spears in rhinestones. Damn, a lot has changed over the past two years!

When I was a little kid, I loved making costumes using a cardboard box. I wish I had pix to show you, but they’re all in albums back home. One year I went as a taco, using cardboard for the shell, and then different colored streamers and tissue paper for the lettuce, cheese, tomatoes etc. That was a really fun costume. One year I painted a box white and drew dots all over it and I was a die—it might have looked better if I’d gone with a friend so we could have been a pair of dice, but oh well. I think I went as a wrapped up present (again, the big box came in handy) several times.

pumpkinCheck out this site
if you’re in the mood for silliness. Some people really know how to turn pumpkin carving into an art form!

What do all of you have planned for Halloween this year? Any good costume ideas that I can steal? Scary movie recommendations? Spooky anecdotes?

26 Responses to Impending spoookiness!

haha love the costumes! you’re genius alex, i always knew anyway, but its cool to see you were brilliant as kid! a box! screw think outside of the box, you can’t be a taco otherwise! hehe

my halloween: my friends are having a marathon halloween party- pumpkin patch, scary movies, junk food, some cheesy thing called the fright farm, more movies, more junk food, sleep sometime, and then nightmare before xmas in 3D woah!

2. Tiff says:

oh no, i need a costume for friday too! i have to dress up for our school party day and parade around with all the little kiddies.

i think tomorrow i will be shopping.

i LOVE your costumes from last year! hilarious!

3. holy costumes, I LOVE them. I adore halloween but my costumes tend to go a little bit more typical, flapper, queen anne boleyn (with sliced neck, though of course). I am still planning out this years….

4. I like the streaming blood on the tainted spinach!

Wasn’t there a song out there in the ’80’s?

Tainted Spinach?

5. Raisa says:

ohmygod loved LOVED the britney & kevin idea for a costume. You’re soo creative =D=D=D and the killer spinach costumbre is hilarious, tho i love it too.

mwaah!

6. ambika says:

Ha! I was a die, too. Loved that costume. The taco sounds a bit cooler, though.

7. I love Halloween too…..I am mid-costume crisis right now…last year my bubs and I were Elvis and Priscilla Presley.

oh man i LOVE it
    killer spinach especially!!!
    i was a bacteria when i was in kindergarten. id like to put the blame on my mom, but i was actually begging for it after watching an episode of magic school bus

this year im being a classic 70s groupie…short skirt, big hair, lots of makeup
    hmm
    i think you should be amy winehouse, though that seems to be what everyones doing, it still a cool costume

9. Arwen says:

Haha, that’s hilarious! I totally

10. LaLaLauren. says:

Going as death. Peaceful, quiet death, though.
    And I’m going to carve a dead pumpkin.
    Eheh.
    Love the spinach.

omg im in love with your costumes – the ecoli – GENIUS!
    I looovvvee halloween and make it a point to never be the same thing more than once (ocd much? lol)
    Halloweens is a week from tomorrow!
    🙂

My hubby goes as Darth Maul. He’s been that for the past few years. This year, I’m going as Storm again. I have a way better costume (custom made) than I did the first time. I’ll be putting up pics, of course.

Last year, I was Mia and the hubby was Vince (from Pulp Fiction). That was the cheapest costume ever because all I had to buy was the wig. The year before that I was Mrs. Darth Maul. My choice, not his. I bought a black bustier that I could barely breathe in and my hubby did a wonderful job of painting me. The year before that, I looked pretty damned cool as Naiobe (The Matrix), although the hair-do hurt like hell!

This was a good post. I’m gonna have to do one like this and post pictures.

13. molly* says:

yeaaaaahhhhhh..
    halloween is the best holiday ever!!… i love the theme-halloween candies and also the movies.. halloween movie specials are perfect!..
    molly*

Alex, my dear! I’M BACK AND I POSTED!
    Halloween=optimal time to dress up as a chicken/pirate/gypsy and run around marauding for candy corn.
    Not that that ever happens to sophisticated women of metropolis like me.
    Ahem.

15. Maggie says:

Just wanted to drop in and say that I was also a die for Halloween one year. 8th grade, I think it was.

tainted spinach? love it!
    i usually never dress up for halloween parties (i’m the one saying i dressed up as myself), but you have cute ideas! and you MUST report what you wore this year!

Those past Halloween costumes are a riot. Killer Spinach and Britney/K-fed? You people are silly twisted and evil!

Hmmm…now you inspire to find my own costume of this silly insane sort.

18. Lisa Asanuma says:

My best cardboard-box costume was Lucy’s “Psychiatric Help” box from Peanuts. People were surprisingly jazzed to see it.

19. Dilemma says:

Killer Spinach costumes win SO HARD.

I say AMY WINEHOUSE. Unless you’re looking for more of a duo thing, so in that case how about Angelina and Brad. You can work the whole black baby carrying thing, while your husband grows a scruffy 5 o’clock shadow and stares into his hand mirror.

Besos my love…

21. Gryphon says:

Best costume duo I ever saw was Diane Court and Lloyd Dobler- stereo, “In Your Eyes,” trench coat and all.

I don’t remember what Diane was wearing. Thankfully her picture is immortalized somewhere on Epicly Later’d.

22. My youngest son looooves halloween! And that is since he was 3 years old, now he is 6.
    Halloween is so much fun!

Carrying on in Wes Anderson style, I think I’d do Margot and Richie Tenenbaum. You could wear a red dress and a fur (and blonde wig) and your hubby could wear a suit with a head band and sunglasses. You’d look cool.

24. Samantha says:

Hey, Alex! Love your costumes from past years, and can’t wait to see your “get up” this year. My friends and I have a tradition whereby we each make one another a costume. We pick names and come up with a theme. We don’t know what we’ll be going as until the costume exchange happens just before we’re ready to leave for the party. Kind of adds to the fun, this element of surprise!

Have a fun Halloween!

Gorging on candy,

Sam 🙂

25. Sarcastica says:

I love the pregnant Brit costume!
    This year, my cousin went as bald Brit. And her husband was K-fed, and they fake fought a lot. She carried around fake babies by the legs :O

26. Love the stumes especially the deadly spinach!! My crazy brood adores he planning part of H-day too,I am sure pics on my site will follow soon! Happy H-DAy !!!!!!!