Okay, I’ve made it perfectly clear how enthusiastic I am about Wednesday night on the CW. I love ANTM, but watching a series premiere is like a new pair of shoes—you try ’em on once and decide if they’re worth the pain of breaking in, or just a fad that you’ll wear twice then put in a goodwill bag. So here are my thoughts on GG, for better or worse.
1. Bad-boy Chuck is hilariously smarmy—I’m loving his “Brenda Walsh meets Jane-Austen-villain” persona.
2. The soundtrack is amazing, though definitely on the uber catchy side. Amy Winehouse, Peter Bjorn & John, Air, Cold War Kids, Justin Timberlake… it’s a reg’lar dance partee!
3. The clothes are fantastic. Tons of droolworthy sequins, blazers, and pumps.
4. Fantabulously scandalous plotlines. Mysterious and intriguing!!
5.Lots of good looking rich people.
(sidenote: the character of Blair was supposed to be played by La Lohan when this was pegged for the big screen. I think she would have been ace, but Leighton Meester is pretty good, too.)
1. The main droolworthy guy, Nate, is kinda, meh. Too “pretty,” and boring… but I guess his character in the book was kind of that way, too.
2. Too serious. It’s missing that Josh Schwartz/OC quippiness that I was hoping for.
3. Too much exposition. But it’s a series premiere so what was I expecting?
…Anyway, it’s no 90210 but I’ll definitely keep watching to see how the story unveils. Maybe they’ll introduce a quirky character so I don’t have to stare at all these poor-little-rich-girls the whole time. Wasn’t there an Ani DeFranco/bad-girl type in the book? I must confess to only having read the fist couple books, so god only knows what is going to happen. But I’m dying to find out.
America’s Next Top Model
Tyra in that Vegas showgirl outfit? Genius. She has no boundaries. And her best question of the night? = “what was it like growing up with a crack head for a mom?” Hmmm… tough question. Anywho, my other fave moments/people:
Spontaneouse. She didn’t make the cut, but I love that name.
I think my favorite is Heather, the kinda pale/goth girl with Aspergers. She’s my dark horse vote. (but she needs a good tweezin’)
The bikini wax girl is kind of hilarious, but I don’t think she’s that pretty. And I bet the ratings peaked when she gave TyTy a faux Brazilian!!!
Tyra’s definition of “plus size” this season makes me want to vomit. That girl weighs what, 115 pounds? Thank god Jay brought up the possibility of *gasp* “regular sized models.”
And Ebony is serious competition. I can’t wait to see what kind of duh-rama she’s going to bring to the runway!!!
Okay. I’m done.