More cooking and clothes

I decided I like writing recipes and then discussing fashion. It’s therapeutic, so here’s another one:

Spring Rolls! (as promised)

*1 pack of Spring Roll wrappers (I got this brand: Banh Trang, w/ a rose on the package)
cooking*1 package cellophane noodles (cooked and cooled)
*1 packet of fresh mint
*1 packet of chives
*1 bunch of basil
*1 bunch of cilantro
*1 cup thinly sliced carrot
(for the sauce)
* 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
* 1 jalapeno or habanero well chopped
* handful of peanuts
* 1 clove of garlic
* 1 tspn of minced ginger
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* splash of rice wine vinegar
* splash of water

First, wash all the ingredients and set them in separate piles. Fill a large bowl with very hot water, and one at a time, soak the rice paper Spring Roll wrappers till they’re floppy. Lay one out on a damp towel and layer in the ingredients, starting with the basil, then the mint, cilantro, chives, carrot, and cellophane noodles. Then roll them up, folding in the ends. Arrange them on a damp paper towel so they don’t dry out. Oh, you can add cooked shrimp or pork or tofu as well. I forgot about that. This recipe is so freakin’ easy! And fresh spring rolls are beyond yummy.
As for the sauce, just mix all the ingredients in a Cuisinart, and voila! Tangy dipping sauce to go with your fancy-schmancy delicious spring rolls. Easy and fun to make.

And onto the clothes!!! Deborah Sweeney. I just found her line on Revolve Clothing and I think her stuff is amazing. I guess she used to design for Jill Stuart and H&M and Top Shop, and now has her own line back in New Zealand. Her fabrics are oh-so-summery and light. A great combination of fun and tailored looks.

1 I go back and forth with one-shoulder dresses, but I love this pattern, and the cut is really flattering.

2 Again, I love this pattern. I’m always drawn to bird prints.

3 I’m in love with this dress. So cute, dainty, and sophisticated.

4 Very cute 60’s inspired coat. I can never decide if I’d actually want to invest in a coat with short sleeves though.

One last thing: check out the latest review of Back Talk on Reader Views!

18 Responses to More cooking and clothes

I love the thid dress. It’s pretty :]

And i’d love to trade links!

those dresses are lovely!
    and u should def check out ray lamontagne – very mellow, but he sounds like a singer from the 70’s or something – very cool!

oh and i checked out albert hammond jr – i like very much 🙂

3. Kirafashion says:

Also yammy and cool style dresses!

a kiss

thanks so much for passing!

4. spring roll recipe made me hungry. I read today about what chefs make for thier kids’ lunches. One made shrimp spring rolls. That was the biggest of many laughs for me. My kids eat spring rolls?

more for me, though. I’m getting on that recipe!

oo i love the bird prints, for some reason the whole line has this awesome vintage 1930s feel, i adore it 🙂

6. Mrs Fashion says:

#1? Cute shoes!
    x

7. I’m going to try the Spring Rolls this week. Thanks!
    Great dresses! That first one is my favourite, the print is so beautiful.
    That poncho at my blog, made with the pink yarn costs US$160. The price can vary depending on the yarn.
    As soon as I get Back Talk I’ll let you know!

8. I love those clothes, you know because they look like a real person could actually wear them.

The spring rolls sound cool too, though I am not a “allowed in the kitchen” kind of girl, it’s my bubs’ domain.

MMMmmm…. must make spring rolls.

I love that coat. It looks more suited for fall than it is for the winter with the short sleeves. And I love the bird print in many of the dresses and shirts in her line.

10. miss*ann says:

cookieees. yum! congrats on ur wedding. =)

11. CGCL says:

I love the coat but am with you on the short sleeves, kinda defeats the purpose unless…….you are going to wear it with all the hot new elbow length gloves that are in!

12. Lindsey says:

Alex,
    I know you love clothes. Did you check out one of my latest posts about Stylemob? It’s social networking for fashion. I think you would love it. People post pics of them in outfits and you can rate their style sense.

OOOH. I’m making stir fry tonight for my undeserving family and friends, and I think I will add some spring rolls to the mix. Merci pour le recipe, Nigella/Alex!

14. Samantha says:

Delish, all — the dresses (I’m partial to the black one-shoulder and the birds in flight which I think is so metaphorical! ) and the Spring Rolls. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Alex. I’m always on the look out for recipes that aren’t beyond labor intensive yet don’t sacrifice aesthetics or taste!

15. penelope says:

i love making my own spring rolls!! haha!!! anyhow..
    i love bird prints too!!! somehow. haha!!
    love!

16. I love that coat and thanx for the recipe, I am seriously going to try it,I thought spring rolls were one of those things only pro cooks could pull off! I’m a sucker for bird prints too!

17. SRR says:

I really love your recipe + clothes features. They’re so cool! I want those spring rolls.

18. hannah says:

i adore all of those dresses. they are all so gorgeous.