Weekend shenanigans

dinnerFriday night we went to my sister’s apt and had an impromptu Asian night. We made yummy (and healthy!) spring rolls and drank saki. Yum. I love spring rolls, and they couldn’t be easier to make—I’ll post a recipe soon. The rolls in this picture aren’t the ones we made because a) I forgot to take a picture, and b) I’m allergic to shrimp so you would not catch me rollin’ a shrimp filled spring roll. But it’s just a visual aid, ya know?

Saturday we took Kung Fu to the park. Penny is way too neurotic to deal with the concept that anything exists outside our apartment walls, so we let her stay home and get even fatter. Kung Fu on the other hand is quite an inquisitive little feline. Yes, he was completely freaked at first, but check it out. He had an ace time!
KF1 After about 45 minutes he came out of the hideous orange cat bag.

kf2 Okay, he’s actually just yawning here, but how effin’ scary does he look. Grrr!!!

kf Kung Fu and I are on the prowl!!!

kf3 Kung Fu’s first encounter with a dog! It was a harmless little cocker spaniel who apparently was very good with cats. KF was cool as a cucumber—makes mama proud!

Sorry to be such a pet-slut, but I do love my kitty-cats. Oh, the only bad part was that Penny was NOT happy with Kung Fu when we got home. I guess she thought he smelled funny from his escapades and she kept hissing at him. Check this out:
pen That is one defensive biatch.

Anyway, we also went shopping in Harlem. We had appetizers at this yummy Moroccan/America restaurant called Native. But I’d have to pinpoint this as the highlight of the day:
purple That’s right. A purple poodle. Only in New York.

ps- check out the nice things Emma had to say about BACK TALK!

31 Responses to Weekend shenanigans

1. I just clicked on over to Native and saw a review about their mac and cheese and now that is ALL I want to eat. f this salad I am having. I must go there. Love your kitties, Kung Fu looked like he had so much fun. I can’t believe you spotted a purple poodle, do you think it was done via koolaid or manic panic, its a DIY emo punk poodle.

2. Emma says:

CATS! Sweet Lord. I am such a crazy cat lady and Kung Fu and Penny are AAADDDOOORRRAAABBBLLLEEE.
    Those spring rolls look like le sex.

hehe i like how you call yourself a petslut, the pics are cute and i don’t even like cats!

oh and purple poodles aren’t only NYC, surprisingly enough my boring old Minnesota has pink poodles! well i knew a girl who had one, they dyed it w/ beet juice, they’re totally insane haha

4. Gloria says:

I love that you took your cat out for a walk! I always wondered why noone did that…I guess surburbia is different from the city in that way (you can’t let your cats just stroll by themselves)

5. Raisa says:

I’m sure Penny will love Kung Fu at the end and they’ll be friends and share their food =P.

I hate it when people dye their pets =(. It’s not that they don’t look cute, it’s just that i feel that it’s not good for pets, you know, healthy.

6. Kat says:

Your kittys are beautiful:-) And it’s okay to be a pet slut! I love my dog, he’s the best. I’d love a cat too though.
    My god, I want spring rolls now, even though it’s 11 o’clock in the morning!

7. You’re cat looks like a crazy vampire cat in that picture….I dare you to write some lame ass BS on it and send it to lolCats

Your other neurotic cat sounds like mine. She’s pretty crazy but not so much since I moved. Good thing she’s much more relaxed now. Maybe I should take her walking and see how much she likes it. It might make her lose some of her fat and make her look less cobby.

Oh, forgot to mention about how much I love spring rolls. So delish! I think I know how to make them, but not sure. I just order them with my Vietnamese food.

10. The Queen says:

They’re the days out of the cycle I have them. Day 1, Day 2…so on and so forth until Day 6, after which the cycle repeats again.

11. Yum,I am very interested in your recipe. I have to say your Penny cat is adorable!

12. Samantha says:

Hey Alex! Loved your pet capers. I walk my cat in the park, too, and get many-a-strange-look. I personally don’t think cat walking is as odd as a purple poodle, but…LOL

Would love your recipe for Spring Rolls, when you get around to it. I made “faux” spring rolls using a recipe found here, which you may also be interested in:

Great dipping sauce and sooo easy, too!

13. CUTE cats! My first word was meow. I think that it actually classifies me as a crazy interspecies cat lady.

That poor dog. I’m glad that your cats are the color that nature made them.

14. I love spring rolls! Post you recipe, please!
    Cute cat, I love his name. It is so great to see peaple taking cats out for a walk!
    I orderd you book, ass soon as it gets here (it takes a few weeks, because I’m in Brazil) I’ll let you know. Can’t wait!

i love making spring rolls – they are yummy!
    … and i love your cats name (i pretty much love anything that has to dO with asian culture)

and the new rilo kiley cd is AMAZING!!! the cd case is purple so it has to be cool right?

16. sara says:

how adorable.

x sara o

def could be an option

17. Alison says:

I lurrrrve your cat, Kung Fu is a total cutie pie! It makes me very depressed that I have stupid allergies and my head turns into a red balloon type thing every time I get remotely close to a cat…

purple poodle= priceless. You can’t make this stuff up.

Oh, btw I’d love to trade links, your blog is made of awesome

18. Jen says:

Omigosh that second picture of your cat is so crazy!!

19. Tiff says:

so i went to the modest mouse show. it was quite the experience. i really need to see them again. they are playing in sept at McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn. have you even seen a show there???

also, i love the pic of you and the kitty ‘prowling.’ ha!

I’m still trippin’ that you actually walked your cat (read: small pony). in a park. My cat would SO not go for that.

21. -ciao bella- says:

walking your cat= brilliant. i am definitely going to have to take my cat on a little walk around the block. hilarious pictures (and don’t worry- i’m quite the pet slut myself… 🙂

p.s. i just ordered your book off of amazon- i can’t wait for it to get in!

Oh, and Alex. In response to your “post-i-can’t-think-of-a-title-for” post about missed concerts, I did my own version. Check it out. I’d love to see your answers.

Oh, wait. It was the “Let’s Bolt” post. Oops, my bad.

24. ambika says:

My deep dark secret is that I am a cat lady trapped in a normal person’s body. These pictures and just the concept of taking your cat to the park (trying to picture any cat I’ve owned, ever, on a leash makes me laugh–our cats have always been serious biatches) just make me laugh. The yawn one has got to be the best though. He’s a lion!

25. Drusilla says:

Heavens, Kung Fu looks……….wide awake. And willing to be walked on a lead? I wasn’t even able to get my DOG to do that without wrapping the leash around my legs.
    This is very very belated, I know, but- congratulations on your wedding! You look lovely and very very happy, especially in the picture with the bubbles.

Kung Fu yawning is awesome.
    Cats have a natural ability to
    hydrate, nourish and defend against
    free radicals (and cocker spaniels).
    Great pics.

Spring rolls *drools* I swear Asian people get to eat the most delicious food, it’s a freaking wonder they’re not obese at all.
    Your book has yet to be delivered to me, apparently Amazon uk is having problems with your publisher?

28. KiKi says:

My friend dyed her dogs hair orange once yeah she is a tad on the weird side. I would love to exchange links. Thanks for asking. Love the website

29. omg, i almost died yesterday, it was so f’n hot. I had to go to mood to get some hot new fall fashions for my arm candies (grey suede, yeah). afterwards, I decided to walk through the hells kitchen flea market and basically wanted to melt into a puddle once I was out in the blazing heat.

The simple fact that you named your cat Kung Fu is great enough. My hag’s cats are completely terrified of the outside world, but when the window is open and nothing but a screen divides them from the world, they become cocky mutha effas.

Love the pics… lol.

The pet pics are HEELARIOUS! A HOOT! I just love hubby there staring down at perplexed KUNG FU! AHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

Animals rule I tells ya. But they already know that don’t they?