Too sick to be too interesting

I woke up Monday with the worst cough/cold and it’s not getting any better, but I thought I’d write a quick post to take my mind of things. On Saturday, Andy and I went to the Siren music festival at Coney Island. It’s a great festival. I’ve seen the Shins, the Liars, Stars, Tapes n’ Tapes …. This year wasn’t the best, but it’s kind of sad that it was the last. Supposedly they’re ripping up Coney Island to build a newer amusement park. How sad. There is so much history there in those rickety rides and that splinter-inducing boardwalk. Do we REALLY nead another Starbucks infested mega-mall? Ugh. Anyway, Here are a few highlights from possibly our last trip to Coney Island (well, except for when we go to Keyspan Park to see Daft Punk next month).
The Noisettes: A really good punk rock band from London. Tons of energy and the lead singer had great style.

Lunchtime: fried clams and hot dogs. Oh, and cookies n’ cream ice cream. Heavenly!

Me and my BFF enjoying the hot afternoon sun, and a crappy indie rock band called We Are Scientists.

My hubs in front of the cyclone. The first time we rode that thing, we almost broke up because we were both so traumatized!!

Voxtrot: The last act we stayed for. They had tons of energy and some really good songs.

All in all it was a pretty good day. I just wish it didn’t take two friggin’ hours to get down to Coney Island from our apartment. Sheesh! We broke the trip up by stopping for a wander around Chinatown. Ugh, I can’t stand it there. WAY too crowded. Lots to see, but there are just too many people for a stress-case like me.

Okay, I gotta go pop some vitamins and take a nap.

23 Responses to Too sick to be too interesting

1. india says:

You guys look cute, sorry I didn’t make it.
    Feel better soon!!!!!!!!!

OMG!! Alex baby… I was THERE!!! I went to Coney on Saturday too!! Holy shizz. We probably crossed paths and didn’t even notice…

Sometimes I forget you’re a New Yorker you know. Coney was soooo effing crowded, I felt like a sardine. A Puerto Rican sardine… lol. I took my nephew to the beach (I didn’t get into the water… I’m scared of the water in New York… lol) and then we stood on the 45 minute line at Nathan’s. I became two shades darker to say the least…

Missed ya baby. Hope you and your hubby are enjoying your lives in marital bliss…

Aww man. I didn’t think ‘We Are Scientists’ were all that bad.

4. they can;t actually tear down coney island…can they??? Wait…isn;t this a plot of a bad Sanda Bullock movie?????

Oh when life imitates “art”

I like that you have a hubs, and I have a bubs

5. sara says:

Everytime I think of Coney Island, I think of the song Coney Island by Death Cab For Cutie, which (from what you’ve said) really describes the place.
    Seems like the festival was tons of fun, and that really sucks there ripping it up!

I hope you feel better.

x sara o

6. CGCL says:

OMG, I love you and the kfed impersonation comment you left over at stilettos. I was suppose to go to the Siren Music festival but was way to hung over from the gogol bordello concert. You should def check out their newest CD, I think you and the hubs will enjoy it. You are looking mighty cute together, btw. I completely agree with the whole 2 hour commute thing, I love brighton beach as well because of my ruske roots but it practically pains me to ride the subway for that long. I have zipcar as well but I think it takes just as long to drive and I am a bad driver. feel better!

7. I’m gad you had such a good time. It looks like a lot of fun. And I didn’t know you looked so adorable! As does your hubby. You two (look) perfect together.
    Going to Chapters to get your book today.
    Get well really soon!!

I scanned the crowd trying to find
    the person that gave you the cold.
    The nice thing about Starbucks is
    nobody gets sick there. Your hubs
    wears cool glasses. You make a
    great couple. Cool pics.

9. ambika says:

Seriously, I have been trying to think of the name of the band that had a one page blurb in last month’s Bust (thrown out in my hectic move nonsense) and you just reminded me! The Noisettes. A search of pitchfork’s latest reviews yielded nothing but you…you, I could give you a big hug if you weren’t sick. Which I’m totally sorry about.

10. Mrs Fashion says:

Get Well Soon!
    And the 2nd picture? My first thought: “I’ve never seen so many baseball caps in all my born days!”

11. You and hubs look adorable! I will actually be in NYC next week but have no time to make it to Coney Island,do try to run out one more time and take pics,I can’t believe I didn’t know it was destined for homogenousation!

12. karolina says:

Hi! I love your blog, I can’t belive you wrote a book! :]
    May I ask how do you get your own layouts on blogger? I tried doing it on mine but some how it doesn’t work.

13. gkgirl says:

thanks for the sweet comment on my blog
    and i just had to say
    i am so ENVIOUS….
    it looks like you had a fantastic day.

and i saw virgin suicides listed in your
    favorite books…i just added that to
    my list of “things i want to read”

14. Andy says:

Hi Karolina,

Speaking as Alex’s tech support, this blog is powered by the WordPress software. We host the software on our own web space, not on Blogger/ etc. The theme is a modified version of a theme we downloaded called “Amsterdamn,” with a different header image that we took from some guy’s Flickr page under a Creative Commons license.

The bubbly hearts font is called “FontDinerLuvable”, and the navigation buttons are produced in that font by a little program I wrote.

So we don’t really know how to change layouts on Blogger, although I can send you our WordPress theme if you email Alex and ask.

15. Jen says:

It looks like you had such a great time, i’ve actually never been to a bonified music festival, i’m jealous!

I LOATHE WE ARE SCIENTISTS. Always have. I kind of hate concerts (but LOVE music, it’s weird and perverse but that’s just me) yet this one looks like fun. Your husband is simply adorable as are you and your BFF. AND I LOVE CONEY ISLAND. Me + hot dogs + really fast vertical motion rides= love. And tummy aches. But mostly love.

17. You sure had fun at the festival! Great pictures!
    Feel better!

18. Great pictures, you look like havin’ a good time!!
    You got a cute and friendly face

19. Kat says:

Hey! Love your blog and best of luck with the book:-)
    Oh and isn’t summer just the greatest!!!

Well, damn you, for have seen the Shins. I guess they don’t like going anywhere near the south so I hardly ever get a chance.

I like Chinatown, but I understand the whole crowd thing. I don’t like crowds either and don’t feel comfortable in them. But I can get in them if I have to.

21. Sophie says:

they are ripping up coney island? it’s practically a monument. how could they?

22. Kelly Parra says:

Looks like a blast, Alex!!

sounds like fun!
    i cant believe they’re ripping up coney island tho – so sad 🙁

the noisettes are really good – i love to see what the lead singer is wearing!