Dooney-licious

coverI just finished the most fantabulously fun book by Stephanie Hale called Revenge of the Homecoming Queen, and I had to write a quick post about it. Now, I myself have never been much into the whole “homecoming” thing. It was kind of a joke at my school (or at least with my circle of friends), but Revenge lets you experience it vicariously—both the highs and the lows, of which there are many for the adorable heroine, Aspen Brooks. I’m telling you, you will fall in love with this girl immediately. She is one fabulously catty biatch! There is a little bit of all of us in Aspen—and by “us” I mean fashionistas, bagbecause Aspen has enough style to feed a small army. She loves Dooney & Bourke almost as much as I love oxygen, and her fashion sense plays a key role in the book.

The dialogue is witty and entertaining. It was actually kind of embarrassing because I read the whole book on the plane to Santa Fe (for my book signing, which I’ll post about next time!!) and I was laughing so much that I actually got a “look” from the woman next to me. Ooops!
Hale reels you in immediately with her dead-on portrayal of high school duh-rama. I craved the characters, and the obvious love story that I was just waiting to be unveiled. But then suddenly the plot twists, and it’s actually a mystery—quel surprise! In addition to loving the characters (her boyfriend sounds like an effing FOX!), I was loving the plot. Whodunit? Well, you’ll just have to read and find out.

I’m telling you, this book was Murder, She Wrote meets One Tree Hill.
OTHjb

…But in a good way.

Seriously, if you want a fun summer read (and you’ve already bought and read Back Talk, hehe) definitely pick up Revenge of the Homecoming Queen, by Steph Hale. It’s a lot of fun.

22 Responses to Dooney-licious

1. sara says:

Along with Back Talk, I need to pick up that book. I’m in such a mood to read this summer.

Oh Gosh, I remember when i was younger we’d watch the “Murder She Wrote” marathons, it was pretty sad, but I loved it.

2. andrew Karre says:

Those last two pictures are the most unlikely pair I could imagine. I’m actually kind of surprised you didn’t do permanent damge to the fabric of space and time.

3. andy says:

That MSW-OTH crossover sent a shudder down my spine. Please don’t bring it up ever again!

4. OMG, that was like the best review ever! You are too sweet! I’m so glad you liked it. Guess what I did? I walked out of the house without your book that I was planning to take to read on the plane. In my defense, I am blonde & it was 3am, but I can’t wait to dig in the minute I get back from Dallas. I can’t wait to read about your signing! 🙂

5. Dilemma says:

Oi vey, I’ve missed like TEN of your posts. Damn summer to hell, now I have to catch up!
    I’ll definitely have to pick up this book when I get some money, it sounds right up my alley. By the way, I was reading Back Talk at the Barnes and Nobles[err I’ve kind of blown all my cash on clothes, thus leaving me with no book/magazine budget] and I love it so far. I would’ve gotten further into it, but the crabby old lady that works[who is generally threatening to everyone who dares venture inside] there was giving me shady looks like she thought I was going to stuff it in my bag and steal it.

6. I can’t think of anything better than Murder She Wrote meets One Tree Hill!!!!!!!

canlt wait to hear about the book signing!

7. a Book Signing??? I can’t wait to read all about it. Also, maybe this is the new Nancy Drew, I love teen mysteries.

8. CGCL says:

oh I need you to add your shipping address to your wishlist so I can send you something for my RAOK. Don’t worry, it hides it from me, and then you can remove it when I am done. Thanks!

that book sounds cute… and i dont really like homecomming either – i just like getting dressed up 😛
    and i have to get your book (i still need to get thru my summer reading and HARRY POTTER… so probally after school starts) 🙂

10. shari says:

I’ll check it out. Sounds so good. 🙂
    I went to Barnes & Noble and asked about Back Talk and they said they wouldn’t be getting until the 28th of this month. Is there somewhere else I can get it at?

11. Heidi says:

ha!! i love the “pitch”—it’s on my list for sure (along with yours!!)

12. i went to books a million for your book & they didnt have it so i asked that they order it

13. touche says:

I’m picking up this book and your book tomorrow!!!
    I swear I’ve read another book my Stephanie Hale, but I just can’t remember the title….
    and yes, Nerdy guys are quite the catch :]

14. aww, i really want to read your book 🙂

Borders didn’t have Back Talk.

The search continues.

‘Revenge’ sounds great! Alex, if you ever decide to go into the business of writing book reviews, you’d have another bright future. *blush* You’re a great writer.

17. sara says:

Yeah, you’re right i guess some people don’t have anything better to do than be mean.

A DVD of Live Earth would be really neat, it was one of the coolest things ever!

x sara o

18. Heidi says:

Hi Alex– I just saw on Andrew’s blog your comment—you were in S.F.? San Francisco???? I would have come to see you!! BUMMER–glad it went well though. =9

19. Mrs Fashion says:

Hi Alex, Great tip-off and I lurve this post’s title 🙂
    And thanks so much for your lovely comment on my last post – I’m blushing! But it was really sweet of you – a pro! – to say that. x

AND: Bradford-on-Avon is such a beautiful little town, but then the whole of that area (Somerset, Bath, Wiltshire) is truly adorable. Hope you get to visist again soon…
    Mrs F x

20. maya says:

im buying back talk this week.
    this book also sounds amazing, I love fun summer reads.

21. Surely I’ll buy it, i’ll got to find it in b&n

22. Tad says:

Ever hear Julie Brown’s “The Homecoming Queen’s Got a Gun”? If not, check with your cousin Caitlin. I know she’s got it…Julie Brown is a favorite of hers (especially “I Like ’em Big and Stupid”).