July already?

Woo hoo! It’s July first, and my novel came out today! I’m psyched.
…Okay, so it’s not actually *in* every bookstore. In fact, if you think of it and you’re at a bookstore, go up to the info desk (hey, sometimes the clerk is a totally hot bookworm-type) and ask them to stock it. That would ROCK!!

And guess what: I’ve chosen a winner to my apparently very confusing CONTEST!!! That’s right folks. I got some really hilarious, creative, and clever entries, but after much angsty deliberation, the winner is…. CountryGirlCityLife!!! win

CountryGirl CityLife (who posted in the comments as Jody) is one witty chick, as well as a talented designer, and she just won a signed copy of Back Talk. I chose CountryGirl CityLife’s entry because A) I adore Marc Jacobs, B) the iPhone is so hot (in a vomitous kind of way) and C) I love her description of Evan (who WAS the name of the love interest in Back Talk until I changed his name in revisions—spooky!). And thanks for tagging peeps to enter the contest.
I might have another contest soon… but don’t worry, it won’t be a Top 5 list. haha

natureWhat else, what else… I watched the most amazing Nature special on venom. I was just being lazy and watching Will & Grace reruns (it is too hot to do anything else) and I flipped to PBS. Wow. I was completely fascinated. The venom from a certain type of sea snail can be extracted and used as a painkiller. Did you know that? I didn’t. Oh, and guess how strong it is?—1000 times stronger than morphine. Holy shnikes! I think I’m going to start TiVoing more Nature shows.

And: can we just have a moment of thanks that turbans are out? I was so not into that look, and according to style.com the turban has been replaced by the babushka look/ cur-chief. To be honest, I’m probably not gonna rock the curchief either (I don’t really want to look like an 80 year old grandma, plus my hair’s too frizzy), but it’s not as stuffy as the turban, which basically just reminds me of old movie stars—not that old movie stars aren’t totally freakin’ awesome. Uh-oh, I’m starting to contradict myself.

And finally, what has happened to my love, Shia LaBeouf? I thought he was so adorable in Disturbia, but he looks a little slimy at the Transformers premiere. Speaking of which: who wants to see the Transformers movie? I’m torn. I used to watch the cartoon when I was little, but this new movie looks trashy and generic. I think I’ll save my $12 for the new HARRY POTTER! Oh yeah, baby.

31 Responses to July already?

First. YAY!

Save it for HP! It’s…BETTER! (How would I know?)

Oh no. I didn’t hit the deer. I almost did. But I didn’t. Thank God.

Yay, paperbacks are a gift from some higher power. Time for a Back Talk scavenger hunt!

2. Jen says:

aww shoot i forgot to go back to the contest, things have been a little hectic for me new job and all.
    love the all black outfit;)

3. yay for Jody!!!!!

and huge congrats for you too, can’t wait to get your book!!

4. Yay for me! You can all sweat me now. I will be sure to post a full review of the book on my site.

The model (sascha?) looks like she is going to a funeral, the look is not working.

Sigh, I love the name Evan, well I did until that show on fox that had that awful guy named Evan, hmmm Joe Millionaire or something. I forget.

I have never noticed that the turbans were in or out, but thats me. I guess I should be more aware of those things? That model looks like a sexy grandma going to a funeral, which everyone probably said already.

I’m glad your book’s out. I’ll have to take some time to go to the bookstore and ask for it.

6. Well, about OUR Shia, I saw some other photos of him at premieres for Transformers, and he actually doesn’t look AS greasy. I’m really not digging the slicked back Rico Suave hair he’s been sporting, but then again, I have no say. Once we’re married, I’ll get him to change. That’s what you’re supposed to do, right?

I can’t wait to read your book Alex…I’m going on a hunt tomorrow as soon as everything opens here again! (Canada Day and all…)

F-the turbans, or the Italian grandmother kerchiefs. That’s just not right.

Congrats to Jody. *Le Sigh* 🙂

Hey Alex, congrats on the new book. I had access to the internet at the hotel, but never had time to check. The book sounds great. Can’t wait to read it.

8. Kim says:

Congrats on your book! Ahh Babushka’s how horrendous. Why do designers hate us?

9. ambika says:

Actually, I had a total boy reaction to the transformers previews and am rabidly wanting to see it in the theater. I wasn’t as huge a fan as a kid, tho.

Congrats on the book! I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it.

10. sara says:

12 dollars for a movie ticket. That’s ridiculous, if you have to spend that much for a movie then you better save it for a good one. like…. Harry Potter, I am so phsyched!!

OMG I am so excited for you, you have your own novel!!! I am going to get it, I promise! I have no idea what that contest thing was about, but if you have one again i’ll check it out.

That sea snail sounds really cool.

I don’t know why happened to Shy, it’s sad.

I still havn’t found time to make the Guacamole Dip

11. sara says:

wait is that balk talk thing to the right of your web page the cover your book?

12. india says:

It looks as though the transformers had a hand in styling Shia’s hair for the premier. Their creepy orange talons look poised to pounce lest a hair slip out of place, and some of the color seems to have transferred from their claws to his strands.
    Never let your co-stars take the fashion reigns – especially if their robots!

13. Wendy says:

I saw some of the new Transformers toys this weekend and most of them don’t even transform. What a RIP OFF! I mean, I’m still going to see the movie, but it’s something to consider.

14. joanna says:

shia looks like a major skeeze! can’t we rewind and go back to the even stevens days!? bring the cute jewfro back – no more of this date-raper look.

15. sara says:

How convenient, I always buy my books from amazon (usually because they are cheaper)

I can’t wait to read it

16. Heidi says:

great post, alex, and sigh…i guess i’ll have to buy a copy instead of getting a free one in the mail. *and idea* how about you send a signed copy to everyone who posts an announcement about your book on their blog??? hint hint

(couple posts back)
    oh, but you are SO invited to our cali writers retreat in the fall (today’s post!)

17. i cannot wait for the Harry Potter movie, it’s eating at my brain. I’m having a big party with all my friends to celebrate the release. We’ll go out and watch the movie and then eat harry potter shaped cakes. ok, something a little less extreme. maybe we’ll just watch the movie.
    sloooowly I’m getting better… the doctor really meant 2 week recovery when he said it

18. Jody says:

I am glad you got to try out Charm. I got BACK TALK today!!!! YEAH!! I think the post office madam just walked it on down the street, that was so speedy. I think I might cuddle up with it tonight and live vicariously through Gemma and Dana.

19. I didn’t knew that Marc jacobs is your favorite.
    Is my favorite too!!
    Nice taste girl !!
    Hugs from Mx: Dianita Coronado

20. Fancisca says:

SNIF SNIF! Well…since I can’t find your book any where, and I didn’t won. I just have to wait until next year when I actually can go to U.S.A. and buy it. Congrats to Judy!

21. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! I LOVE your site and I’ll definitely be back. Hope you’re having a great 4th of July holiday!

22. Jody says:

I liked your sporadic comments. I will totally write you an Amazon review as well, I enjoy writing them so you didn’t even need to ask. I started reading it and it’s tons of fun! Obviously I am a teeny bit older than the target demo but I still love all the fashion references and it’s the teen life I always dreamed of.

23. I loved Jody’s list !!! YAY ,Jody! I will be looking for your book as soon as I go to the bookstore,I can’t wait! Sorry for missing out but ,I have had lots of family stuff! So better late than never.,and just because lists are fun,heres mine!
    1. Kate Bush,she could lose herself and almost drown out the sound of Dana’s nasty techno,while humming “the man with the child in his eyes”.
    2.Shane,the cute guy who played ,Eugene in “Look homeward angel”in Highschool,she often thought of him,as the phrase “you can never go home again”rang true.
    3.Francesca Lia Block,she often wished a fantastical creature would spirit her away like in the FLB’s books she read as as an early teen.
    4.Diet Redbull,she needed the extra “wings”,after a “wardrobe session with Dana.
    5.Erin Featherston,as soon as she could afford her,Ms Fetherstons ethereal designs would feel like “home”.

24. Fancisca says:

Portugal. Lol that’s good! His voices has sex appeal.

I think Shia is like Ethan Hawke, really gross and dirty looking in person and all, but great with make-up and on camera.

26. Kristen says:

Congrats on your novel! Very cool. Can’t wait to look into it.

I listened to a radio interview that Shia did recently and he was completely lame…didn’t seem to bright. Too bad because he is a cutie (except in that photo…slimey is a good descript!)

27. Happy release day!

28. yay for BACK TALK! People should not only ask the stores to stock it, but should order it from the store. Right? Or maybe that’s no help. Anyway, I’m going to hit the bookstores in my hood and hassle the hell out of them as soon as my stangray stang heals and I’m back on my feet.

29. or is it BALK TACK?

dude i saw the transformers movie. oh yeah. TRANSFORMERS — ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!!!!! it was pretty good. lots of explosions and fire and loud bomb-sounding things. but there was also some happy love stuff with shia and whoever the girl is. you should go see it, though. cause in the theatres, the loud bangs and such, are even louder thanks to the surround sound.

31. Maggie says:

I got Back Talk from Amazon today! Yay!