7 things

Okay, the amazing and talented Jenn over at Stiletto Heights tagged me and I must now reveal 7 things about myself… Hmmm. Do I go the really personal route and talk about my screwed up childhood, or just completely trivialize the whole thing and list 7 quirky lighthearted fun-facts. Hmmm, tough call.

america1) When I was little I would invite my friends over for Miss America pageants. One year I was Miss Virginia, but I can’t remember what my talent was. The next year I was Miss New York, and for my talent I sang “Small World” from Gypsy. And I WON the pageant! It was kind of tacky that the hostess won the competition, but the other talents were somewhat lacking (My friend Lexi twirled a baton to a Beach Boys song; Shannon danced with a life-size stuffed bear to an A-Ha song; and the piéce de resistance: Dana tripped over a soccer ball. I’m not kidding. She pulled a soccer ball out of her robe, put it on the ground, and tripped over it. We didn’t have high standards for talent back then).

2) Sort of related to #1: I used to be a singer—but I threw it all away! (sigh). I was way too shy, so I kind of gave it up. But I was pretty good for a while. (Oops, do I sound totally conceited right now?)

3) I love cabbage. No joke. I buy the pre-shredded cole slaw from the grocery store ALL THE TIME. That stuff is da bomb. It’s low-cal, cheap, very healthy, and it works with almost anything (chicken salad, stir-fry, even on panini sandwiches…)

mario

4) I usually hate video games—why do they have to be so repetitive and boring? Not to mention the crazy arthritis after a hardcore ass-kicking—but I love Dr. Mario on old-skool NES. And I’m reeeeaally good. You have to kill these ugly little germs with big, Valley Of The Dolls-style pills. It’s so much fun.

5) I can wiggle my ear—and by “ear” i mean just the ONE ear. Not both. For some reason I’ve trained my right ear, but my left is just a mutant, catatonic lamo. Anyway… it’s kind of an awesome party trick. I’m very talented.

902106) I love Beverly Hills 90210. It was never as good once the gang graduated from high school (and why did they drag it out soooo long?) but I still love it. I can’t help watching the reruns on Soap Network when I’m at my sister’s house (she has crazy extended cable).

I always thought of myself as a Brenda, but Kelly was pretty cool too. And in the Dylan vs. Brandon debate? Dylan. Definitely.

7) My mom is also a writer. She wrote several captivating novels, but her first, Bare Essence, was turned into a mini-series in 1982—isn’t that incredible? Bare Essence was about the perfume industry, and starred Laura from General Hospital, among other 80’s blockbuster power-houses. I would kill to have BACK TALK made into a movie! No seriously, I’d kill. Just tell me who….

paulAnyway, I don’t really want to tag anyone else, but I’ll leave you with my heartthrob of the day:

Paul Rudd.

He was on Veronica Mars last night, which suddenly reminded me how fabulous and adorable he is. The actual episode of VM was so-so, but Paul Rudd is dreamy! For anyone who hasn’t seen Wet Hot American Summer—RUN to the video store immediately. The barbecue sauce scene gets me every time. Not to mention Anchor Man, BASH (on Broadway), and he’s the cutie from Clueless…

In my mind, Paul Rudd can do no wrong!!!!!

PS-exactly 1 month till my wedding! Holy schnikes.

25 Responses to 7 things

I can never focsu my thoughts in comments so I’ll list them along with your post:
    1) I laughed for a while, especially because of Dana’s talent. That would probably be mine as I’m always tripping, and then I always mentally tell myself I’m an idiot while I look around to see who saw.

2)I always wanted to sing but I have a totally flat voice. I mean dead.

3)Cabbage is the best half raw with lemon and shredded carrot. So good.

4)I’m crazy about old school Nintendo. Even though I’m not very good at it.

5)That’s my BFF’s party trick! It kills me everytime she does it.

7)I can’t believe your mum’s novel got turned into a mini-series! And in the 80’s too! Which everyone knows was the best time to have a tv show.

Did you ever see Paul Rudd in The Great Gatsby? I hated the adaptation but he was the saving grace. He has the best eyes, they’re sort of crinkly and adorable.

Your wedding – I can’t believe you seem so relaxed about it. I think I’d be a totaly Nazi Bridezilla, with yelling and stomping around because the flowers aren’t the right shade of cream. Bet it’s exciting though.

2. Your 7 factoids were quite interesting and left me wanting more. Which I guess is why you are a writer! That’s cool about your mom, has she helped mentor you with your book?

ew on the cabbage

and yay for your impending wedding!

3. Aaron says:

Cabbage? I didn’t think anyone liked cabbage. I stand corrected.

Yuck. I tried cabbage once. It made me gag.

ONE month until the big day…holy shit darlin’ I’m nervous for ya!

Just kidding. Best wishes, have a great day!

interesting, and very random facts! you must be the only person who likes cabbage…definitely not a fan, myself!

and i’ve always loved paul rudd since clueless awww

totally awesome about your mom! let’s hope you’re even bigger… 🙂

do you want to trade links? your blog is hilarious

oh and as far charlotte gainsbourg goes, i’m not quite sure, i’ve really only heard this one song, i’m asking for the CD for my b-day though. but yes, my first inidiction is that she is moody- intense minor piano and electronica melodies, a haunting voice, and depressing lyrcis- just listen to that song- the songs that we sing.

90210! best show ever! although, i only enjoy the first three seasons, after that, it just gets terrible. NINTENDO! do you remember duck hunt? was that what it was called? with the orange guns and you shot the ducks and the dog picked them up. how i miss that. sadly, my nintendo got ruined from the rain that leaked into my basement in the summer of ’98.

7. Brittany says:

wow, one month, congrats! and your mom had a mini series! im so jealous…i mean how many people can say that? i love paul rudd too, i think he is so educated and adorable. but the question on my mind is can i bother you for some nyc dirt? haha seriously. i would pay for the shipping.

8. I like cabbage too, but in the right use. It has to be paired properly with something, like in an egg roll, or as coleslaw. Or in a stir fry. Okay, I digress… One month!!! Hooray for you babe!! I also love the Nintendo Number One!! xo

I wanted to say things. They might have been coherent. They might even have been vaguely witty.
    But you have shown me Paul Rudd. So I am going to have to go off and envision Paul’s and my imaginary wedding. In the sky, with clouds and hearts and Nutella cake (the kind I believe you once said you wanted for your wedding? Sounds AWESOME, dude).
    Yes, Paul! Yes! A thousand times yes! I will be your wife, Paul!

10. I’m Kelly, you can be Brenda!!!!

I love 90210, to the point of sheer insanity, seriously, love is an understatement.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. Newlywed of 8 months here. I used to be a big fan of BH 90210 for a little bit, too. Stopped watching it long before they graduated.

I like Paul Rudd, too. He’s cute in a scruffy soty of way (loved him in Clueless…and The Object of My Affection).

12. 90210. one of my more mortifying guilty pleasures. But it has been a long time. I’m still in love with Kelly so much that it hurts to think about. Probably even more than Paige Matheson from Knot’s Landing, who is now on a show called someting like disparate (disapparating?) hillwives or fishwifes or alewives or something. I was also in love, earlier, with that girl on Family Ties who later got on another big show. But then I had a dream about the mom on the show, Meredith Baxter Birney. I had no less a crush on Courtney Cox, but after the dream–of which I remember nothing but the essense of absolute love, the bliss of the soul’s completion–Mrs. Keaton had my heart and soul.

Your getting married? So cool. I love being married. Nerves didn’t hit me about the wedding until the week before when a steady intake of alcohol was the only thing that would stabilize my bowel. Good times.

13. Kelly Parra says:

hah! I can only wiggle one ear too. And I was addicted to 90210, and yes there is something too cute about Paul Rudd. I mean, even his name, Rudd, it’s different. It rhymes with Mudd. haha. 😉

14. my picture didn’t work. I’ll try this:

15. Yes, they really are $12.95 brunches with unlimited (strong) margaritas! The whole st has brunch places with the same or similar deals. I think my thing with cabbage is that my mom was forever on the cabbage soup diet growing up and oh how it did make the house smelly.

16. shari says:

I haven’t played it in years but I was totally the household champion of Dr. Mario. I absolutely love NES and Super NES. Anything Mario, the princess, etc.

I’m still lamenting that picture of Dylan. You know the one. eeeek.

BTW I’m adding you to my links. 🙂

yessssss paul rudd….clueless!!
    not a big fan of cabbage but i dig spinach
    theyre kind of in the same family right?

18. hi.there! did you check out the link? Its a short film about 20min. long. i discovered it by accident when visiting the my space fashion page, and i dont even visit the site often. It premiered yesterday online. did you see it? Yes Zooey is cute as a button, heres the link:

“my screwed up childhood”??? yes, i am very beyond nosy. sorry!

cabbage=bleh! childhood beauty contests (complete with totally amazing talents)=awesome! wiggle one ear? HA! i can wiggle BOTH, thank you very much! (maybe that could be my talent….)

20. Maya says:

Urgh, not cabbage. i actually made a vow never to speak to anyone that liked cabbage after i went to a fairly new friend’s house and her mum had no idea what to cook for me (im veggie) so she made me a huge bowl of cabbage. maybe we should just never tak about it. arghh

You must be very gassy. Cabbage I hear makes ya blow out yer colon!

LOL!

PAUL MUTHAF*KIN’ RUDD! YES YES YES! HE IS A HOTTIE! AGREED! I kept checking him out all throughout CLUELESS when I was watching that movie at the theater all those years ago…

I can’t stand Chloe Sevigny. Apart from the fact that she’s is not especially attractive, she looks like she’s the type of girl who thinks she is, which is the only way I can explain her ‘head tilted down, come hither’ poses. And her dress sense is sometimes highly questionable. You are not alone.

23. Lindsey says:

Okay, I used to do plays with my sisters at home. I was less than 10 years old. This is really embarrassing but I would actually create rehearsal schedules. I would post them at the top of the basement stairs (this was our playspace). If my sister didn’t show up for practice, I would go and yell at them. And I was a middle child, not the bossy older one.

24. Yes, Dylan! Dylan, Brandon was so boring.
    Funny post! Loved it!
    One month for your wedding, how great, you must be happy and nervous at the same time! Congrats!

25. Wedding?! How’re you feeling – busy, frenzied, excited? Do we get to see a post about your attire for the special day?