So exciting!

My publisher just sent the galleys for BACK TALK. (fyi: galleys are just an uncorrected, bound copy of the book for editing). Here is a picture of my muy gorgiouso kitten, Penny, avidly reading it for the first time. bookShe loves it! Anyway, I was so freaking ecstatic when I got it. That means my book is really and truly going to be published! Holy shit! I haven’t taken it out of my bag since I got it—you know, just in case I run into someone I know on the street, I can whip out this copy to show them! It’s awesome. It’s even got my headshot on the back! Some think it’s a very unflattering picture, but it’s too late to change, so I’m trying to rise above it. You can judge for yourselves when you (i hope) buy a copy in July!!

Anyway. I’m totally psyched. In other news (now, this is really big, folks, so hold tight). I’m going to the Columbia Physics department BBQ this afternoon. I know, I know. “AWESOME.” That’s what you get for marrying I dork, I guess. So, what does one wear to a physics BBQ? Something slutty to make all the uber nerds drool? Actually, it’s a little too cold for something slutty, so I’ll probably just rock some skinny jeans and a T-shirt—gotta show off my newly buffed/rehydrated spa-body!

Speaking of jeans, can I take a vote? How many of you plan on rockin’ the high waisted jeans? I love fashion, but I think the new trend of high waisted jeans is a cruel, cruel joke. Did all the designers go out for drinks one night and ask “What can we do to make the skinny girls look fat, and the voluptuous girls look even fatter?” And after a few tequila shots, Stella McCartney et al said “I know! Mom jeans!” Very few women can get away with this look, but more power to ya, ladies! I’ll just be over here in the corner in my “muffin top”/”shovel butt” jeans. I don’t know why I’m so against it. Mom jeans are probably really really comfortable.

On a side note, when I was googling images of high waisted jeans, I found this picture of Kelly Kapowski. Who here remembers Saved By The Bell? God, I used to love that show. Especially the episode where Jessie got addicted to caffiene pills and had a breakdown, singing “I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so… scared!” Genius.

PS–Veronica Mars last night was awesome. Not “season 1” worthy, but funny and sly nonetheless. And VM’s just so damn cute, I can’t help loving her!

22 Responses to So exciting!

1. YEAH! That is so awesome, I would never put it down either. Congrats! (again). I think of myself as still a young adult but in reality I am not but I will buy it for my ‘teen niece and read it myself before I give it her. ha.

As for high-waisted jeans, I just can’t believe it. The recent pictures of Jessica Simpson and Mischa in them are awful. I do have a pair of 70’s ish high-waisted bootlegs that I think look pretty cool but I have really wide hips so it sorta oddly looks right. I am not sure if I have guts to wear them in public yet, I just prance around the studio in them.

2. I’ll be looking for your book in July,thats wonderful !!! I generally NEVER go with trends and only wear what I like.The only arena I experiment with and *try* to go with the latest disposable idea(just because I think its fun) is jeans. I’ve seen the J.S. pic,yeah not so hot,but I’m totally game! Actually I will look for some in the thrift 1st,that way if I find it unflattering or uncomfortable in anyway,no harm, no foul on my pocketbook!
    Thees somthin’ kinda cute about that botom SBTB pic,I like the paperbag waist!

3. ambika says:

Congrats on the book and yuck on the jeans. Between the mom jeans & the skinnies that look good on 2.5% of the population (though that doesn’t stop the rest from wearing them), I’m starting to think there really is a conspiracy.

4. I’ll be looking for your book when it comes out. Congrats!
    About the high-waisted jeans, I think they are awful, do not like them. And the women I’ve seen wearing them didn’t look good. Even Mischa, Ashley, JS or Keira.

Oh, Alex Richards, can I marry your blog? Is that legal, for me to marry a blog?
    I so love the idea of all the designers going out together for drinks and scheming sadomasochistically to make the fatties fatter and the skinnies look like they’d just inhaled an entire roast pork.
    I hope that they brought the SNL version of Donatella Versace along, instead of the real thing- Faux Donatella seems a lot more fun.
    “I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so…scared!” I QUOTE THAT LIKE EIGHT TIMES A DAY. And nobody gets it, because nobody fakes sick and lounges around the homestead with iced coffee watching Saved By The Bell reruns as often as I do.
    Congrats on the book, I’m totally planning to buy a copy. And I NEVER buy books, I just surreptitiously read them in the cafe and spill on them and stuff. It’s lovely, really.
    Physics barbeque, wild! God, nerds are fun, aren’t they? I always have fun hanging out with my nerdy platonic boyfriends- they do my chem assignments for me, and make me feel like a stupid bobblehead, but I love them. Besides, today’s nerds are tomorrow’s sensitive singer/songwriters, as Jack McFarland would say.
    Is it sad that I can quote Jack McFarland? Yeah, it is, but not nearly as sad as the length of this comment.
    DON’T DO AWESOME POSTS IF YOU DON’T WANT A COMMENT THAT IS BASICALLY AS LONG AS AN ENTIRE BLOG ENTRY ITSELF. :^) Ciao, roma.

6. shari says:

I absolutely can’t wait to buy your book. 🙂
    I’m excited! It will be at …like…Target, Barnes and Noble, etc. won’t it?
    I know I could order it but it’s gonna be so cool to walk up and see it….thinking “I know her!” 🙂

7. Miss V. says:

Amazing! Your book looks SO cool! And your cat is adorable 🙂

I hate high-waisted jeans. They look weird on me. But high-waisted shorts are okay, I have a pair in denim.

8. jessie getting addicted to the caffeine pills was awesome, I was totally a “jessie” when I would watch the show, crazy curly hair and bad know it all attitude and all.

I even bought the special deluxe edition of Showgirls when it came out.

it’s my fave bad movie ever!!!

also, it comes with a game called “pin the pasties on the showgirl” and shot glasses!

I am so happy for you with your book, I can;t wait to get it!

This is my first time at your blog and it’s great! Love it!

I’ll look for your book when it comes out. It looks interesting.

Oh, yeah, high waist jeans… not cool. Although Isaac Mizrahi (however you spell the man’s name, I forget every time) has claimed last year that low rise jeans are out, but you know for a fact that they’re not going away for a long time. Maybe because they just look bad on people. High waist pants only look good on (in my opinion) in the form of slacks and very tall and skinny women. If you want confirmation, check out Victorias Secret catalogs and you’ll see. Other than that, not good on most people. Instead of high waist, why not in between high and low?

10. Heidi says:

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and congrats on the novel! Whoo-hoo!
    Yes, John Green is the BEST!! You’ll love his book (if you love YA). Your post was so funny. I’m married to a doctor, so I’m well-versed w/ the nerd crowd. LOVE NERDS! JG is a proud-ex-nerd as well and he rocks.

HATE, HATE, HATE those high-waisted jeans. Not even Jessica Simpson can pull those off (yes, I read US). I would look like Roseanne Barr in those. EEEK. Congrats again (and feel free to add me to your YA blogroll–
    seaheidi.livejournal.com

I can’t believe you’re having a book published! It’s exciting news.
    High-waisted is just a moment, a highly hideous moment in fashion. I just can’t understand it. No-one can pull it off really. Not even Kate Moss. Though she’s deluded and on crack so she probably thinks she can.

12. india says:

Aww, Penny is SO cute! And such good taste in books!
    But man, could the woman in the second photo be any less attractive? Seriously, if a model looks that bad in high waisted jeans what chance do any of the rest of us have?

13. lauren says:

can not wait for your book to come out 😀 how exciting!

i sort of liked the high waisted jeans just bc its such a contrast from the buttcrack revealing superlow jeans we have now but they’re way difficult to pull off; not even jessica simpson or mischa barton looked very flatterin in them :/

Aww man, i cannot WAIT to read this book!!

15. Girl, I dig your site. You are a freak and I dig dat.

Holla at a playa,

Krazee Eyez Killa

16. You Alex (in my best “street voice”) I tagged you on my blog today.

WOW i finally figured out how to access your blog. I CANT BELIEVE YOUR GETTING A BOOK PUBLISHED
    and it looks so pretty and professional. wowwwwwwwwwww i will definitely keep an eye out for it though im going to be in europe all summer (would it be there?)

highwaisted jeans….nonono i do not plan on wearing them but i dont want to hold myself to anything
    i HATED unflared pants for a while and now i wear skinny jeans all the time

Your cat has human hands! OMG! A MUTANT!

Congrats on the publishing of your book. I would be real giddy too if this were me.

19. Meeks says:

OMG, my brother and I love to bust out with the “I’m so…scared!” whenever we’re feeling stressed out. (Yes, we’re adults. Lame adults). Love that pic. And congrats on the galleys.

well, i must admit that the old old high waisted pants were horrible (as were tapered pants. let’s not go back there again). but, i think if you choose a really nice pair, with not much of a high rise, but not extremely low britney pants, they can work. finding a happy medium is best.

21. how come your blogs always have so much stuff that inspires me to comment? Your advanced book copy and the jeans with the foxy picture of Kelly k.!

Last things first: look how disgustingly skinny the model in the new high-waisted too big jeans is compared to Kelly? Kelly looks good enough to eat with some meat on that tummy as opposed to emaciated muscle. She’s yummy. (and shut up! when the picture was taken I was young enough so that I can say it now without you thinking I am being innappropriate–plus I was a rock and roller at the time, singing and playing in the band, which means that appropriateness was not in the lexicon.) And the designers don’t care what looks good, do they? Don’t they just want a “new” recycled trend? But I have known this would happen, and I’m not happy about it at all. As one of few men on this comment page–Crazy Eyez is prolly a guy–I don’t pretend to speak for all of us, but I like the low. And as a kid who had purple bell-bottoms when he was in 2nd grade (bought for me by my freaky sister in college) I like a flare.

But more important than trousers, by a little bit, is your book! It looks great! My stupid cat will be too busy hanging by her claws from the curtains and falling from the top of the door frame (she thinks she can perch anywhere she can jump) onto the counter *bump* and the floor *bump* (and she doesn’t land on her feet, so she may have used up her ninth life by then) –where was I? Helen kitty won’t be reading it. but Yay! when is it coming out? Why haven’t I gotten my galley yet? I am so jealous.

I put in a request at my library today for them to get Back Talk–not for me, I’m buying half a dozen or so–and the lady was all snotty, saying that “the process takes some time” and “sometimes the buyers decide not to purchase a requested item.” Librarians are usually great, but they probably recognize me as the guy who is aways paying the big fines and whose wife needs two big bags to carry her loot out every week. I f they don’t buy a few of your books, I’m going to stop paying my fines, and then let’s see how Snotty Face likes it when they have to downsize her because of the loss of revenue!

First and foremost, I will be first on line to buy your shiny new book (I expect a special autographed copy). I can’t believe you’ve done it!! Mucho congratz to you my haggy…

Second, those high-waisted jeans are supposed to be worn a certain way… and it saddens me to see females sporting the jeans improperly. Those type of jeans are to be worn with a snug fit around the waist, tapered to hug the curves of your body. You my dear, I’m sure will wear them well. Maybe with your gold cuffs??

I’m giddy for you sissy face… can’t wait to read the book.

Besos