This just in: I’m a B-list-celebrity whore.

So, the other day I was at the gym, sweating away to the new mp3 mix I made (which is awesome by the way. I luv a good gym mix). Anyway, I was nearing th end of my elliptical blast when I up and saw someone familiar. It was Brooke Smith—okay, so I had to google her when I got home and figure out what her name was, because I didn’t know. Right now she’s this snarky M.E. on Crossing Jordan, but she has had a pretty awesome career. greysAny Grey’s fans will remember her as Dr. Erica Hahn who performed heart surgery on George’s dad.

I think she’s a fantastic actress, and she got her “big break” in Silence of the Lambs in ’91. Who can forget that role? (It brings new meaning to the quote: well“I want to cut off your skin and wear it to my birthday.” eeeew!) She was naked at the bottom of a well for most of the movie, but she was very good! Her performance–and the whole movie–gave me chills. Sooo creepy.

Apparently she’s the daughter of Lois Smith (publicist to the stars). That can’t be easy if you’re trying to “make it on your own.” She’s had a pretty good career though, and I totally love her voice. It’s very straightforward and deadpan. I wish my voice sounded like that. I always want it to, but I think my voice is too high pitched. I think her no-nonsense demeanor is what gets her the roles.

Series 7, for instance. Now that was a weird movie. I kind of recommend it, but it was a very ominous satire. 7It’s a spoof reality show (a la Survivor) in which the contestants are given guns to go on this scavenger hunt and kill each other. Weird, right? But Brooke Smith plays the previous season’s winner, out to reclaim her title–only this time she’s 9 months pregnant and waddling around with a riffle. It’s kind of amazing.

Anyway, I was mesmerized when I saw her at my little podunk gym. I like it when people “keep it real” instead of finding some fancy schmancy Equinox or something. I even stayed on the ellipticycle for an extra 10 minutes cuz I’m such a dork!

But it’s true. I’m a star f*ck’r. I’ve even got a couple more celeb-encounters… wanna hear some of them? Okay!

selmaSelma Blair & Claire Danes. This is by far my greatest celebrity story. I used to be the assistant to a fashion photographer, and one day we did a shoot with Selma Blair. First of all, she was so funny and sweet. We did the shoot in a fancy hotel in midtown, and she decided to use the disposable camera from the mini-fridge. We took tons of pics, and then, guess who stopped by for lunch? Claire Danes! Yeah, that’s right, I had lunch with Selma and Clare. We were just chillin’ & talking. Selma took a picture of Claire and me which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

Weeks later, when the shoot was over, I got a letter from Selma Blair saying thanks for the fun day, and she included the pictures of us! (I can’t find them now, or I TOTALLY would have put them up on this post. But you believe me, right? Why would I make that up.)

mollyMolly Ringwald. Okay, so this one time, when I was like, 10 or something, I was in the Laura Ashley store (such a horrible place, don’t ask me why I used to shop there). I was in the dressing room trying on this blue and white balloon-like jumpsuit, and the salesgirl came in and was like “sorry to barge in, but Molly Ringwald is out there, and I need to grab something out of the back for her.” So I walked into the main part of the store and there she was: Claire from Breakfast Club, Andy from Pretty in Pink, Sam from 16 Candles! I was too excited. She smiled at me and said “You look adorable in that.”
It was pretty awesome.

19 Responses to This just in: I’m a B-list-celebrity whore.

1. crystaljade says:

Wow, you’ve had a lot of celebrity encounters, unlike me who happens to be stuck in this boring town. I like your metting with Molly Ringwald best. I always wonder why she didn’t have a succesful career as an adult…

2. I think Molly Ringwald is adorable, and I love that she said that to you. Of course, I’m sure you really were adorable, she didn’t have to say that, didn’t even have to notice. It’s not usually hard to say that nice thing that’s on the tip of your tongue–but too often people let the opportunity slip by.

Funny how it means so much coming from the royalty of celeb-world. When I was in college, my band was playing in the smoky, 3.2 beer stinking campus pub, Benny’s Basement. Michael Hedges, who is an amazing guitarist, stopped by after his gig in the CONCERT HALL across the street. “Nice set,” was all he said, but I’ll never forget it.

3. Brittany says:

that selma blair story was the best ever!

YOU RAN INTO MOLLY RINGWALD?
    ohmygod, ohmygod *runs around room hyperventilating*
    back when she was still cute?
    awesome.
    i remember dr. hahn. am i wrong, or does she resemble a french bulldog? did she in real life?
    don’t worry, I’m a starf*ck too. it’s a noble and worthy profession.

*Scoff*

And no, that’s not jealousy.

Actually yes, it is–I’m lying. 😛

I don’t know any celebs, unless you can local ones…my mom is friends with rich people.

Which…(I forgot to mention)…we are not so. We’re just normal. So it IS like knowing someone famous when you know someone rich.

7. molly g. says:

ohhh my josh!!! i love molly….. my actual name is becuase of her.. (i mean the artistic name.. the molly of molly gray) i’m madly in love with her movies, they represent an important part of chicks movies.. totally adore her!
    cya,
    +molly g.+

8. Emma says:

i didnt buy the gold bikini…yet! i want the one piece actually! or the hotshorts
    i have heard you are getting some winter! i heard long island is going to have 40mph winds!!! absolutely insane o you better bundle up!
    those pictures were taken in one night, with mulitple clothing changes

i think i would die if i ever saw molly ringwald…im such a sucker for her old filmssss

9. andy says:

“It puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hosssse again!” – I wonder how many times she had to hear that! She must have been young when she played that role, huh?

“Series 7” was wicked. Well worth watching just because it is so original and I really think they did a good job exploring the concept. The characters were excellent. Perhaps would be a good double bill with Battle Royale (also v. good I thought.)

I love that Molly Ringwald story – you must have felt like you actually were in 16 Candles. Did she say it all deadpan? Oh man, I just had a daydream where I imagined life actually was like an 80s movie… gulp. It was, well, there’s only one word could describe it, it was RAD!!! I feel kind of weird now, like I have to face up to the fact that my life will never be as good as that.

When I get back, (and you get back…) let’s have a Molly Ringwald marathon. Hmmm, I can’t wait that long. You have a marathon and I’ll join in over Skype. NUTS! This is the last time I come to China without you, OK?

I saw Molly Ringwald I’d probably start talking to her and never leave her alone. A restraining order would probably be her only option. She used to have the best hair. AND she complimented you. You’re practically the Chosen One.

11. I love that you used the term star f*cker, awesome.

I should tell you about the time that Corin “Corky” Nemic (former teen heart throb from Parker Lewis Can;t lose) hit on me…it’s really sort of sad.

also, Laura Ashley…seriously????

12. Lindsey says:

Hey Alex,
    I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I replied to your comment on my blog. But I can say it here, too. Basically, if you are going to see 300, do see it on the big screen. It does have amazing cinematography, which I didn’t mention in my review. It is one of those movies that loses a lot of its power on a small TV screen. Do see it on the big screen, maybe at a 2nd run theater.

13. NomadGirl says:

You met Molly Ringwald in her prime? Envious can only begin to describe what I’m feeling! I remember looking up to her as a thirteen year old and emulating her dance moves from The Breakfast Club at a school dance. That aloof downward glare! Those leather-booted, mid-height kicks timed perfectly with the swinging arms! And I wondered why I wasn’t more popular 🙂

14. I love celeb sightings, none of mine have been this good yet, but I haven’t been in NYC quite long enough. Selma Blair is hot.

I stood next to the sis from 6feetunder at Starbucks. When I first moved here, I ran into Yoanna from ANTM several times at Quintessence, walking around, she def lived somewhere in the UWS vicinity. I also saw the Hilfiger girl at a Alanis concert and I met Janice Dickinson at a partay and had my pic taken with her. She is a riot. There are more, but mostly boring.

15. -ciao bella- says:

love love love molly ringwald. xx

16. -ciao bella- says:

love love love molly ringwald. xx

17. touche says:

I can’t even BEGIN to say how lucky you are!!!! The famous celebs I’ve run into (randomly, of course) have been tiger woods (at starbucks, we’re basically bff), Maria Shriver (she asked to borrow my pen at the hotel counter in Hawaii, I looked like an idiot infront of her, we bonded), and the best was when I ran into Clint Eastwood while shopping in Carmel, CA (he smiled and nodded while I frantically waved and almost jumped him).

18. ashley says:

aw the selma and claire one is so cool!
    and molly ringwald is the best 🙂

oooh celebrities! arent they just wierd! to quote mean girls when you see celebrities outside of hollywood “its like seeing a dog walk on its hind legs!”
    ok i bungles that but you get the point.

😛